What is it? CLXII

and again the most dumbest guesses from germany
933 a tool for climbing rocks. the four half wheels are to block (verklemmen) themself in rock-split
934 no idea
935 used to flatten car tires / to stop cars ?
936 pre-historic pencil sharpener ?
937 stand for thick books, the two flat areas are to hold front and back separately so that old and expensive books will not fold too much ?
938 for woodworking, to remove the bark (oops, right word? Baumrinde) from logs
939 funny thing used in itchy and scratchy moovies. no idea what it is used for, microscope? rocket or jet engine?
greetings, chris
Reply to
Christian Stü
some kind of brakable or ascertainable cable drum? drum for measuring length with looong wire? some kind of speed meter for boats? used in big clocks for the weigths?
no, stop, my guesses are getting too dumb
greetings, chris
Reply to
Christian Stü
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a
couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:

Rob
Reply to
R.H.
933 Climber's Cam
934 Microtome
935 Caltrops
936 Quill Pen point maker?
.
938 Agricultural veggie harvesting tool?
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
#934 You should know this one. It can be used for slicing bratwurst.
Other people use it for making thin sections of specimens for study under a microscope. The specimen is mounted in paraffin and sliced up.
Regards,
Reply to
GeorgeD
933. That's correct. In America it's called a cam. 934. Microtome. slices thin tissue sections in wax for looking at with a microscope. 935. Probably Correct. Caltrop. Size would help to indicate whethter it's tires or people. 936. I think pencil sharpener too. 938, A handheld hook for grabbing things.
Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
933. rock climbing thingy 934. for taking thin slices of something. 935. i bet that's another form of those things that you posted before that get stuck in soldier's and horse's feet, used for warfare. 936. i bet that's a pencil sharpener 937. i bet that's for holding a huge heavy book, a dictionary or bible, like in a library or church. what a handsome object! 938. looks like a hook for processing ice, or chunks of wood, or maybe frozen meat? (i remember visiting Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo and the guys that were unloading the frozen fish carcasses off the boats had something quite similar to that, but it was longer, like maybe 3 feet long, they'd hook the tail end of a frozen tuna carcass (looked like a frosty pod) and drag it around, move it around, was interesting to see)(i bet there's a specific name for that tool in japanese but i have no idea what it is nor where to look to find out what it is.) 939. cool! i bet it's a light source for some kind of antique optician's diagnostic device.
Reply to
William Wixon
"GeorgeD" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ZRsMh.15810$1a6.895@trnddc08...
yes, i know what you mean ... but who wants to see a bratwurst under a microscope? ;-)
after having read what it should be it is clear. in the middle an adjustable hole to fill in the specimen (some bratwurst with or without mustard or ketchup, choose yourself what you like more), and on top a handle with a sharp cutter. a microtome, didn´t i say this? ahem, no, karl did.
greetings, chris
Reply to
Christian Stü
another silly guess...
939 some lens for cinema, slide projector, some old magic lantern? at the rear some device to make light with big holes for getting rid of the heat, then a condensing lens, a hole to insert some transparency objects, and a adjustable lens to project to your wall.
greetings
Reply to
Christian Stü
This is also known as a microtome. Now there is a word I haven't heard since High School biology. Who knows why it jumped into my 65 year-old mind after all these years.
Rich
Reply to
Rich
Also known as a Dictionary Stand.
Rich
Reply to
Rich
"Rich" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:qN-dnQTsgr4_5J_bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
that´s the problem for me. even when i have some idea what it is used for, then the right english words are missing. and my dictionary (hey, i should have known it!) doen´t give a translation for all i am searching.
but i hope i described it clear enough.
greetings
Reply to
Christian Stü
938. I have seen tools similar to this used to move around big blocks of ice at a fish processing facility. I don't know if that was the intended or original use of the tool.
Reply to
Lee Michaels
939 is a slide projector/magic lantern. Since the fitting on the back looks like a pipe fitting, the light source is probably a gas/acetylene burner with a mantel inside the perforated case.
Northe
Reply to
Northe
Because the earliest memories are the ones that tend to stay....
Reply to
clutch
clutch
934 is an early microtome
936 is a pencil sharpener (automatic, too!)
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Ok, what is it in German? Der Wörterbuchstand? Die Wörterbuchstelle? Der Wörterbuchtisch? Apparently not.
Regards,
Reply to
GeorgeD
hi all,
"GeorgeD" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:jZwMh.7065$YD.5977@trnddc06...
google is my friend ... just found on ebay:
looks, ahem, very similar.
another item, picture shows some use i would not have expected:
greetings from germany, chris
Reply to
Christian Stü
937--Exactly like the dictionary stand on my living room. Mine has a Webster's Unabridged on it' 938--A hook that would be held in one hand and swung to seat the hook into something soft and heavy, like a bale of cotton, or a bag of grain. I do not include hay, because I know that hay hooks are used in pairs, and have a different handle. Not for ice--the hook would just chip the ice. 939--As others have said, a projector. One of the clues is the knurled brass focusing knob. I think I have seen the slides for this. They are glass, a couple of inches wide, and several inches long. Each one has a series of round images, cartoon-like, and in color.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman