update of similar parts.

SW2006

I've got a driveshaft, PartA, that is in production and fully dimensioned. Now I want to make PartB with some drastic changes to one end of the drive shaft, but keep everything else the same on the opposite end of the driveshaft. And this may also result in another PartC.

What is the best way to make a change in Part A, so it will also update parts B,and C? For ex, a small diameter change of Part A, so the same diameter will change in parts B, C and D?

Do I have to use an Equation to link to part A? Is there anything else that can be done? Should I also save a copy of Part A to Part B, and C then add/make changes to B and C. I dont' think I can use a spreadsheet/design table, b/c parts B and C have some drastic changes on the one end of the driveshaft.

Also, I would then like to use the drawing from partA with all the dimensions, and be able to dimension most of part B and C. How can i do this?

Right now, i just saved partA as PartB and PartC, and now manually make changes to A, B and C as they are needed, but is a pain in the butt, if I make a change in A, it does not update B and C in the part and drawing. Also, I really do not want to re-dimension a drawing for part B and C, when A has most of everything.

How can I be a little more efficient at this?

samurai.

Reply to
samurai

Use configurations of part A. Part B exists as a configuration in part A.sldprt. Drawing B is a copy of drawing A. Edit the properties of each drawing view to reference configuration B. The common dimensions will remain, and others will dangle. Do the same for Part C and any other part that will always be a derivation part A.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

You can copy the drawings as well as the parts using "Save as", then the common drawing dimensions will carry over.

Don't be lazy. Keep the parts separate. Don't get too clever with configurations or links, even though doing so will make you feel like a SW god. In the long run, separate parts changed separately will be easier to manage.

My current client is paying me good money to undo the headaches caused by a previous user's excessive "configuration cleverness". That's on top of the money lost to bad parts and service calls.

Reply to
That70sTick

i feel u can use design table also

and supress of the changes or the feature which are not required in either of the part.

make only one dwg

then make copy of it and link it with the other configurations

Regards

Deepak

Reply to
Engineer

This works for me, but now how do I generate a drawing of partB from partA, dimensioning only the new configurations and dimensions of partB, with the rest of the dimensions coming from partA?

samurai.

Reply to
samurai

The drawing for each new configuration would be a copy of the drawing of part A. In each copy, point each drawing view to the new configuration. Existing dimensions and annotations will remain, and dimensions to missing geometry will go dangling (and may be hidden automatically).

Reply to
Dale Dunn

If you insert A as a part in a new part B, then you can remove the features from A in B that you don't like and add the new features to B without danger of affecting A. You can then make a drawing of B without the dimensions from A coming in.

TOP

Reply to
TOP