Escaping model parts.

I was building the Tamiya 88MM GunFlak 36/37 Item # 35017. I was up tp the part about building the 2 piece Gun Fuze (sic). For those of you that built this model and saved the instructions, it is on page 7 and the 2 parts to be glued together are A31 and A32. As I put the two parts together, I see that they are not exactly fitting together, so I get one of my small plastic clamps to clamp them together until the glue dries (Testor liquid cement). After I applied the glue, I placed the clamp on the parts to hold them together, with the clamp in my right hand and the part in my left hand. As soon as I removed my left hand fingers that held the part, I hear a 'snap' from the clamp and heard a slight noise coming from my left side. I look at the clamp and see it is empty. My basement hobby workshop is about 9' wide by 15' long. My worktable is an old pre-computer office desk, 5' long by 30" deep with the knee hole and 4 drawers and a slide out typewriter board. It sits along one side of the 15' wall about in the middle of the wall. My seat at the desk is about 7' from the 9' left wall where I thought I heard the slight noise after the clamp "snap". Under my desk in the area of the knee hole is a long-napped black bathroom type area rug to catch and hold dropped parts before they bounce meters away. That 9' wall to my left where I heard the slight noise is separated into two parts by a 30" deep wall, floor to ceiling. No doors, and both sides are open to the rest of the room. In the left part of that wall is a well pump tank and the water softener. On the right part is 4 shelves with storage boxes, some with no lids. Under the shelves on the floor are more boxes, some with no lids. There are also storage boxes (containing old built models) on the floor between the shelves and the left end of my desk. I started a search, although I knew that it would probably be unsuccesful, and it was. Removing all the boxes and searching the shelves and in those boxes with no lids, I came up empty. I searched in the utility half of the wall, behind the well tank and softener with no success. I continued the model building because that part could be installed later, if I found it. I searched on different occasions with no luck. I even checked the floor from that area, past the right side of my desk (You know how those parts can fly). I can leave that part off the model and only the rivet counters would know it is missing, but more importantly, *I* know it is missing. How is Tamiya on replacing missing parts, even though it's my fault that they are missing? Thanks for suggestions or comments, good or bad.

Reply to
willshak

Well, Will, the Gun Fuse has probably gone into orbit with the energy in that spring clamp. Its always amazing how far little parts can go when they slip out of your fingers and go on the floor/desk/wastebasket/drawer etc. My latest loss is a 1/700 forklift for an LHA. Oh well, the ship will be able to get along with the other 5 provided. When I remember to put it on, I believe its Micro-Mark that has an apron with double-stick Velcro on the bottom edge to stick to the edge of the desk and catch flipped and falling parts in your lap. I think jewelers use something like it.

Good Luck,

T2

Reply to
Tom

willshak wrote the following:

Thank you Tamiya! After sending an email to Tamiya on the above after I posted the message, I received the following email at 5:56 PM EDT.

Dear Tamiya Customer,

Please forward your U.S. mailing address and we'll send you replacement parts A31 and A32 at no charge.

Thank you,

Tamiya America Customer Service

Reply to
willshak

Tom wrote the following:

I have a black apron that covers my lap for those parts that may drop into my lap, rather than falling on the floor or into a fold in my pants, that will fly out like an ejection seat when I stand up to look on the floor. I'll have to use that some time. Maybe next time. Anyway, Tamiya was kind enough to say they will replace the parts I lost.

Reply to
willshak

For real fun try installing Kadee coupler springs in their couplers. It takes me two hands with tools and a wearable magnifier, guaranteeing that when one escapes, it's gone forever. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

And of course the day after the replacement parts arrive, you'll find the lost original.

Reply to
GordonD

At least with springs you have a chance of finding them with a magnet-on-a-stick.

There is a wonderful expression that covers episodes like this, and I can't remember where I got it from.

Pingf*ckit

Reply to
Alan Dicey

GordonD wrote the following:

Then I'll have one to set aside in case someone else loses theirs. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Mad Modeller wrote the following:

Don't you have one of these from MicroMark?

willshak

No, but it's now on my want list! How DID I manage without that tool?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Mad Modeller wrote the following:

I bought something from them a year or so ago. I get a few emails a week on their sales, and a mailed catalog once a month. They have some great small tools and finishing products. They are a little pricey, tho. If I wasn't watching my budget, I would be tempted to spend a few hundred bucks a month for stuff I would probably only use once, or seldom at most. :-)

Reply to
willshak

It happened to me many years ago when I was building the Revell Shuttle Launch Pad - one of the halves of the lightning rod at the top of the tower was missing. So I sent off for a replacement, but didn't hear anything for weeks. So I decided to make my own - even for my limited scratch-building skills it wasn't difficult: a tube of roughly the right diameter, with a strip of plasticard wrapped round and round one end to form the wider part at the base. I was really pleased with it - and a little disappointed when the replacement part arrived a few days later!

Reply to
GordonD

Might try a #11 xacto knife/blade. Put the blade edge into the spring about half way and install the spring. Haven't messed with trains much for 50 years, but that used to work pretty well with HO couplers and bolster springs.

T2

Reply to
Tom

That's what I have been using all these years - along with a broken tweezer and a magnifier.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

willshak wrote the following:

Update:

August 13, 2011. I received a manila colored, bubble lined envelope in the USPS mailbox today from Tamiya America in Irvine, CA. Sent August 9. Inside was a small clear stapled plastic bag with parts A32 and A32 still attached to a piece of sprue. Postage they paid was 88 cents.

Reply to
willshak

when i was given the airfix d day set as a gift, it was missing the paints and a me 109. through some bad english to french translation program, i eneded up with 3 sets of paints ans 2 me 109's. i almost got 1 more of each untilm a hurried no, no! got to them. it was kinda cool and very funny. they were doing the big apology to the customer of value, sir.

Reply to
someone

I've started building on the kitchen counter, no rug. Or when my wife is away for a long trip, in her office (nice long poseable neon light she never uses...). Painting, upstairs a room where the cats are banned, has my model stash. Also a Pace paint booth. Greatest investment ever. Put one of those window fans to air out the room, priceless.

anyway, watch has a tendency to catch on things. Those springy things sprung out when trying to fix it. So, need to find a watch repair place. Will throw away the Chinese made leather band.

Fun was stealing shelf and drawer space in the kitchen .... if its empty, its not claimed by the other spousal unit....

Reply to
frank

I was just assembling my He 100D tonight when the inner gear doors both took off, one at a time. I build over the bare concrete floor which seems to give them plenty of bounce when they hit but I found both of them. Then the tailwheel took flight. I found that after a searchlight sweep (flashlight). I think I may need to open the hole a little bit before I try that again. Usually I'm not as lucky as I was tonight.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

My greatest triumph in finding an escaped part was when I was building the Revell 1/48 Mercury capsule. One of the capsule separation rockets sprang free as I cut it from the sprue. It was the size of a pencil point. Painted red. On a red carpet. But I found it!

Reply to
GordonD

frank wrote the following:

You have empty drawers in the kitchen??? Half of the 12 drawers in my kitchen are specific to certain items, the rest are junk drawers. :-)

Reply to
willshak