Update - Parts in PDM Link

Hi all. We recently switched from Intralink to PDM Link and have a question regarding update. I get the plus sign on a part that I=92m not sure I=92ve modified and in Intralink I could do an update and it would go away being replaced with the part from common space. Now with PDM Link, I=92m working (online) within my workspace and when I do an update (to the parts with plus), the plus sign remains and I get a message that says (on the following screen):

Cannot update an item that is up-to-date or is the iteration already in the workspace chosen for compatibility with other members of the same family table that are not being updated.

We=92re kind of stumped as to whether or not we need to get rid of the plus sign like we use to do with Intralink (doing an update).

Thanks

-Justin

Reply to
jusford

Hi all. We recently switched from Intralink to PDM Link and have a question regarding update. I get the plus sign on a part that I=92m not sure I=92ve modified and in Intralink I could do an update and it would go away being replaced with the part from common space. Now with PDM Link, I=92m working (online) within my workspace and when I do an update (to the parts with plus), the plus sign remains and I get a message that says (on the following screen):

Cannot update an item that is up-to-date or is the iteration already in the workspace chosen for compatibility with other members of the same family table that are not being updated.

We=92re kind of stumped as to whether or not we need to get rid of the plus sign like we use to do with Intralink (doing an update).

________________ Typically, in this situation, you'd check in the part/drawing or you'd = cancel checkout then check out a fresh copy. Depends on what you're = trying to do. You also only needed to "get rid of" the plus sign in = Intralink for limited reasons; for example, dependent parts that you = were not revising were modified but locked/released in CS where you had = no rights to check them in. On the other hand, if you were revising the = part/drawing, the plus would merely tell you that you needed to check in = your work. And you only needed to do that because you were TRYING to = revise the parts. The first mistake in PDMLink may be checking out parts = that you don't need or want to revise. On the other hand, if you have = parts in your workspace that were not checked out but were modified, = they shouldn't be a problem because they can not be checked in. The = first thing that I noticed about PDMLink is that it's much more = deliberate and, with life cycles, workflows, roles dealing = comprehensively with all aspects of releasing, it's harder to do stupid = or destructive things than it was in Intralink which required a lot more = hand holding, care and nurse maiding.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

- snipped-for-privacy@c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

[...]

Thanks for the response.

So if I understand correctly, I shouldn't have to worry to much about the plus signs as they will not get checked in unless checked out. What I need to do is check out only the parts (assembly in this case) I wish to have "uploaded" into my workspace, so that I may have that backed up or work with on a different machine. Doing this will not affect the assembly that others will see until I do a check in of the assembly.

-Justin

Reply to
jusford

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@c58g2000hsc.googlegroups= .com...

______________ I think that's substatially correct. The main thing to keep in mind = about PDMLink is that it works the way a PDM/PLM system should work, = i.e., as part of a structured change and configuration management = process, where "checking out" is necessary step in the revsion process. = You don't check out files to interrogate them, send them to vendors, = print them or simply view them. You check them out only to revise them; = and you can check in only revised files, i.e., those with a new rev = letter. Revising changes the released state from Released to WIP as well = as bumping the rev. This also insures that you can not check in changes = to released documents. So, typically the check in comes at the end of = the revision process, when the document is ready to be released or, at = least, to be launched into the signoff process. In the meantime, the = released versions are available for manufacturing, inspection, = purchasing, vendors, etc.

[...]

Thanks, this is the best explaination I've seen yet explaining the workflow/reason's on the process.

[...]

__________________________ It's different enough from Intralink to warrant some study. Check the = top of your WC browser screen for an item called Publications. This = should lists a number of documents built into the default installation. = The User Manual is well worth investigating.

Reply to
Janes

Cannot update an item that is up-to-date or is the iteration already in the workspace chosen for compatibility with other members of the same family table that are not being updated.

We?re kind of stumped as to whether or not we need to get rid of the plus sign like we use to do with Intralink (doing an update).

Thanks

-Justin

This comes from a common flaw in family tables. Always modfiy and check-in all instances when adding a new instance or changing one. This way the latest iteration of the generic has all of the instances generated with it.

Reply to
Ben & Mickie Loosli