Linking PDM Number to Filename

All,

Is there a way to link the filename to the PDM Number for EPMDocuments?

From what I understand, the filename and the Number for EPMDocuments must be unique. If they could be linked (the filename drives the PDM Number), then the users don't need to manually sychronize these should the file be renamed.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Hogan

Reply to
Tom

All,

Is there a way to link the filename to the PDM Number for EPMDocuments?

From what I understand, the filename and the Number for EPMDocuments must be unique. If they could be linked (the filename drives the PDM Number), then the users don't need to manually sychronize these should the file be renamed.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Hogan

Here are two instances I'm sure you can do. 1.. You're in Pro/e and create a part (EPMDoc) while in a linked, registered workspace. It's possible to create and auto-associate a wt_part. 2.. You're in the product structure and create the wt_part to autogenerate the part number. In Pro/e, using this part number to create a new document can be made to auto-associate the EMPDoc to the wt_part. Either or both of these is possible. Sorry, I don't know the technical details and inner workings of how to accomplish their set up. But, with the system I'm using, I've done both.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Just to clarify my question..

A user creates a part in Pro/E called "bracket.prt"...this will create an EPMDocument with a PDM Number of "bracket.prt"

When the design is finalized, the user needs to rename the file to "p1000.prt"... I would like the PDM Number to automatically be renamed to "p1000.prt"...one less thing for the users to worry about.

--------

As I write this, I am wondering if I am stuck in the old school way of doing things and being "file centric" and worrying about file names.. It seems that I have to manage both since the filenames are important for Pro/E use, while the PDM Number is important to PDM use. Just a passing thought.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just to clarify my question..

A user creates a part in Pro/E called "bracket.prt"...this will create an EPMDocument with a PDM Number of "bracket.prt"

When the design is finalized, the user needs to rename the file to "p1000.prt"... I would like the PDM Number to automatically be renamed to "p1000.prt"...one less thing for the users to worry about.

Reply to
Janes

Haven't played with PDMLink 8 or 9, but in 7, that was a customization that we had added. A file in PDMLink has 3 fields: Part Number, Name and File Name. Only File Name MUST be unique. We had Part Number as the FIle Nmae minus the file extension and linked to the drawing number on the drawings. The Name field is the same as PTC_COMMON_NAME in Wildfire and linked to the description field on drawings.

Reply to
Ben Loosli