best practices for naming configurations?

Hey guys,

Any recommendations for working with configurations? For example, naming them. I started giving them the whole part name, then adding the specific configuration name at the end, like this:

part name: support, fuel tank configuration 1 name: support, fuel tank, short configuration 2 name: support, fuel tank, long

then I specify in each configuration that I want to use the configuration name in the BOM...

however when we come to the drawing, I have the drawing sheet format fill in two things in the name block:

PART NAME ( CONFIGURATION NAME )

That way, if the part has no configurations, the part name tells what it is. If the part has configurations, there is some duplication due to the configuration name including the part name (for sake of making BOMs work). A drawing title block for the first configuration above would look like this:

support, fuel tank (support, fuel tank, short)

How does everyone else handle the drawing/BOM naming schemes?

It seems kind of dumb IMO that I have to come up with workarounds like this to use configurations. Am I missing something here? I'm using solidworks 2007 BTW.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mike

I name the default configuration the same as the filename. For me file names are generally numbers, part numbers to be specific. This way each configuration is a distinct part number. I then make the configuration description, the configuration specific custom property description the same. In a PDM system you can then search on the description for various types of parts. In a drawing the part number becomes the filename, the title block description the config specific description and the drawing number may be unique and different from the part number.

TOP

Reply to
manager

In a drawing the part number becomes the filename, the

OK, the part number is the configuration name, as you said earlier, so how do you get the drawing to be named after the configuration name instead of the part name? Do you manually change the drawing name or is there some trick?

-Mike

Reply to
mike

Well, if the default configuration has been renamed to the part filename, then SW will, by default give the drawing the same name as the part which will be the same name as the configuration. However, in a drawing I think it is best to pull in information from configuration specific custom properties. Therefore when starting a part you name the default configuration to the filename which is the part number. You also create a configuration specific custom property with the part number in it. I do it with a macro.

TOP

Reply to
manager

For manufactured components, we use a suffix on the end of the part number. By default all parts end in -00. This means default, or in the case of sheet metal parts, the flat pattern. Then the configurations progress from -01 to -99. -01 and -02 are left and right for mirror folded sheet metal parts that are made from the same default or -00 config. If the configs. are not manufactured, just shown for modelling purposes, then we generally use descriptive names, ie; compressed, short, etc.

I guess the point to note is that all manufactured items require a unique way of being identified. We use sequential numbers for this to avoid any confusion or different designers having different ideas as to naming conventions. After using different methods, I now loath designs that have descriptive names.

Dom.

Reply to
Dom '96 E39 523i

Using descriptive names for parts it is too difficult to be unique. Descriptive names for features and sketches is good though.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

A few years back I set up PDM for my company. dbWorks had no problem tracking our part numbering scheme. What I learned is that as soon as you try and automate anything it has to be automation friendly which means the exceptions that humans have no problem with are a big deal for software to deal with. Because we were an engineering house and not a programming house it was deemed better to have meaningless part numbers (read sequential). Dash numbers were for sub-configurations like simplified, fea, sheet metal flat pattern, blank, etc. Because we used design tables top level configurations were always parts. The lesson learned from the dbWorks people was their method of assembling descriptions. This is where the part searches should focus. They had a hierachical, automated system to create descriptions quickly so even that could be automated.

TOP

Reply to
manager