Managing revisions in parts with configurations

What do the folks do to manage revisions in parts with configurations? For example:

Scenario 1

Part A contains:

001 002 003 004

001 in Part A is revised from rev. 0 to rev. 1

Perhaps these configurations are driven by a design table. So any changes would be minor and of a dimension change nature.

PDMWorks would want to save Part A as rev 1, but that is not really true because it is 001 within Part A that has been revised, not

002,003, etc.

Scenario 2

Part A contains:

001 002 003 004

001 in Part A is revised from rev. 0 to rev. 1

Part A is a structural shape and 001 is a set of holes made in it. The number and location of the holes is change in rev. 1 of 001. Nothing is changed in the other part configurations.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
P.

It's precisely because of this dilemma that we do not use configurations for released assemblies... We tried it for a couple years, and never could come up with a revision system that wasn't a disaster.

We still use configs at the design stage, but break out the individual assemblies at release. It feels like a giant waste, but we find that it significantly improves our document control process. An additional bonus is that the models are much more stable when they're configuration-free

Reply to
Michael

In our situation, we control revisions to the public only on the drawings. Internally, the models & drawings are tracked in our PDM Conisio. This way if I want to go back and get an older version of an assy, it pulls the proper current & older parts versions to go into it. So, we don't really have revision control on the models in the standard sense.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

P.

I use DBWorks which manages configurations pretty good. DBWorks has a configuration property called "CONFIGURATION_REV". This model property is placed in the SW drawing revision block. The secret is to ignore the file revision and concentrate on the configuration revision.

Using this methodology and your example:

Reply to
Len K. Mar