Tolerancing Question

Hello All-

I'm detailing a drawing with the following condition:

2 holes concentric, on the same face.

Hole A .063" plus/minus .002"

Hole B .067" plus/minus .002"

As you can see, this could result in 2 holes the same size(DIA..065") on top of each other. The engineer's response is: well, I want to maintain the .004 difference between the two holes.

Is there a standard notation for this condition? I looked in the ASME Y14.5M-1994 book and I could not find this mentioned.

Thank you, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

[...]

Phil Evans

What if you showed the detail in a side view cross section... dimensioning the larger diameter off of the smaller diameter...

D.063+-/002, and a linear dimension for .002+/-.001 (in other words the D.067 would be .002+/-.001 off of the edge of the .063 dim)

Does this make sense?

- Eddy

2 holes concentric, on the same face. Hole A .063" plus/minus .002" Hole B .067" plus/minus .002"

As you can see, this could result in 2 holes the same size(DIA..065") on top of each other. The engineer's response is: well, I want to maintain the .004 difference between the two holes. Is there a standard notation for this condition? I looked in the ASME Y14.5M-1994 book and I could not find this mentioned.

Thank you, Devon T. Sowell

Eddy Hicks

Why not dimension one hole's diameter, then dimension the .002 radial difference with the desired tolerance? 04 allows dimensions between concentric circles now....

Reply to
Dale Dunn

hmmm....

You could mebbe dimension the silhouette step between the two holes in a section view, and put the "dependent" hole diameter in as a reference dimension...

-OR- give the engineer an undimensioned print and a red pencil...(tell him another engineer who does his own drafting suggested this)

-OR- place a GDT profile tolerance on the entire bore silhouette (in a section view)

Reply to
TheTick

What you need is some GD&T. Im a bit rusty as my current job dose not make use of it. However you may want to control the smaller hole with LMC and then control the larger hole with MMC, aply the right feature contols and you will beable to define what you want.

Now, getting a shop to properly interpet GD&T, well that your problem.

Try this site for a refresher:

Brian Bahr

Hello All-

I'm detailing a drawing with the following condition:

2 holes concentric, on the same face.

Hole A .063" plus/minus .002"

Hole B .067" plus/minus .002"

As you can see, this could result in 2 holes the same size(DIA..065") on top of each other. The engineer's response is: well, I want to maintain the .004 difference between the two holes.

Is there a standard notation for this condition? I looked in the ASME Y14.5M-1994 book and I could not find this mentioned.

Thank you, Devon T. Sowell

Jay

Hello All-

I'm detailing a drawing with the following condition:

2 holes concentric, on the same face.

Hole A .063" plus/minus .002"

Hole B .067" plus/minus .002"

As you can see, this could result in 2 holes the same size(DIA..065") on top of each other. The engineer's response is: well, I want to maintain the .004 difference between the two holes.

Is there a standard notation for this condition? I looked in the ASME Y14.5M-1994 book and I could not find this mentioned.

Thank you, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Devon, I would simply dimension the features as follows:

+.000

-> Hole A .063-.002

+.002

-> Hole A .067-.000

Then use GD&T for acceptable concentricity.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Cyganik