2004: Configurations and BOM

Hi,

I've got a problem with using multiple configurations in a assembly. I have 2 sub-assemblies in 1 assembly, only with a different configuration. Now in my BOM SW show 2 times the same component with quantity 1 in stead of 1 time with quantity 2. The reason I've put 2 different configurations in assembly is because I want both of them to be flexible.

I've already tried to give the configurations the same custom name, or give them both document name. But the problem remains.

Can somebody help me with this?

Regards,

Bas

Reply to
Bas

Move to 2005 if you use a lot of flexible sub assemblies. 2005 allows multiple flexible sub assemblies without using different configs for each. One major new feature I love.

Dave H

Bas wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

We had the same problem when we created a hinge for a door and needed to make six configurations to make it flexible in the assembly. We wanted to be able to grab the door and swing it open to show it in several different positions. Anyway.......what we ended up doing was put a check in the box for "Part Configuration Grouping-Display as one item number". Then we manually changed the "QTY" cell to the correct number of hinges. When you go to change the cell in the BOM that has the "QTY", you'll get an error message that reads

"This cell value is parametrically linked to a part.....yada yada yada. Continue editing cell?"

You'll obviously need to select yes at this point and type in the correct qty.

Hope this helps, Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

I think in order to do this in 2004 you will need to set the second flexible subassembly to "do not show in BOM" -- you will find this setting check box under properties (same place you set it flexible at). Then insert another copy of the first assembly at the same configuration at a rigid state then hide it. This way your BOM will see a quantity of 2 sub assemblies, but will not show the extra 3rd flexible subassembly while the drawing will only show 2 sub assemblies...

Otherwise do like Dave H said & move to 2005 - where this limitation does not exist.

Hope that helps, Steve Tietz

Reply to
Steve Tietz

Do they both have the same custom/config properties? Maybe one has a description, length, etc. and the other does not.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Click on Bill of Material in a drawing Under Bill of Materials there is a tab called Part Configuration Grouping There are two choices (a) display as one item number or (b) display as one item configuration with the same name Click on ? for additional information

I believe this is what you are looking for

Kman

Reply to
Kman