Balloon numbers do not match BOM

I have for the first time tried ballooning an assembly drawing which has a BOM table. I've tried both the manual "balloon" and the "auto balloon" icons and in both cases the balloon numbers do not match the item numbers in the BOM.

Why the hell not???? If I double click on the balloon text it says I can't change it because it is "driven by component order". Is there some option I need to set to make it "driven by BOM order"?

Just to add to my woes, it crashed on me whilst I was reading the help files!

I'm on 2006sp4.1 Can someone please put me out of my misery?!

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

Once in a while here, I run into this issue, but it's mainly because my company uses a seperate BOM. But I would suggest starting with the assembly model. Make sure the tree is set up in the order you want it (top component will be your Item 1, etc). Next, (and I'm winging this as I don't have SWx open right now) select the option in your BOM properties that states "follow assembly order" (which simply means that it'll reorder itself to the assembly models tree order) The Ballons should magically adjust themsleves acordinglyly. BTW, you can't double click on the ballon to change it manually, but you can overide it by changing the item No. on the left side from component #, to "Custom" and fill in the box below. (I occasionally have to do this with stacked ballons indicating to 1 screw, as loctite is used and here it is it's own entity on the BOM, so I have to customize the second ballon to indicate the correct BOM #.)

Scott

Reply to
IYM

John, I have encountered problems with BOM and balloons under the following conditions:

  1. The view in question is not linked to the BOM. Solution is to right click the view, go to properties, and link it to the BOM.
  2. You have mulitple configurations and the view in question is not the same configuration as the view used to place the BOM. A solution would be to add the configuration to the BOM (Table Properties) or to change the view configuration to the same as the BOM configuration.

Good luck, Marty

Reply to
Marty

Does the BOM configuration match the configuration of the drawing view. This is usually the problem when the balloons don't match the BOM. If you are using the SW BOM table there is a tab in the property manager for changing the configuration. Also if you have more than 1 view make sure that in the view property that the toggle to keep linked to BOM is checked and the proper BOM is selected.

sometimes when i've seen this, i click on the icon in table properties to follow assembly order (maybe twice). it seem that it might reset something, almost like a rebuild of some sort.

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann