bom linked to another view

I have a bom in an a print. I want to put a few ballons in a few that the bom is not linked to. The view is a different config, just show less parts for confusion factor.

can I add some ballons to this view but have them referring to the bom so the item # is correct?

thanks

Reply to
greif

Yes, if you are using the SW BOM, not the Excel one. Go to the properties of the view, and check the box for "Link to BOM" or something like that.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

yes, I am using sw- bom & tried that but it did not work. thanks

Reply to
greif

"greif" wrote in news:1168872914.979287.237600 @a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I believe "link to BOM" requires the same config of the same assembly. If you can, use display states instead of a config to simplify the view.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

It should work - what are you getting? Are you getting "*" in your balloons?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

No it doesn't - that's the purpose of the box - to make the balloons of a view of one config follow the balloons of the view of another config. It will not, however, follow if the views are of different model files - they have to be the same file.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in news:45ab9321$0$4883$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

Ok. I didn't think it would work bacause different configs could number items differently. What does it do when the component doesn't appear in the BOM? Is that when you get the "*"?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yes.

If you have a view of config A with the BOM tied to it, then the balloons are controlled by that config. If you also have a view of config B that has a part in it that config A doesn't have, and you tell it to match the balloons on the config A BOM, then it can't possibly attach an item number to that part since that part doesn't exist in the config that's controlling the BOM. So the SW response is the asterisk. You can also get the asterisk by ballooning a part that is in the master config but a different config of that part.

One of the easiest solutions may be to tie the BOM to the other config that has all the parts and let it control the numbers.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany