Use of Component Name in SW BOM (2004)

Season Greetings!

I've got a potential client who has some specific documentation requirements. They produce radios which require the documentation of the PCB & all its compoents. They are considering switching to SW and would like the following functionality.

A third part application generates a SW assembly and all its components.The program assigns each part with a component name. i.e. Three resistors are named R1,R2,R3.

What they would like to do is generate a ballooned drawing that

  1. Places the reference designator (R1, R2, R3) in the bottom half of a split balloon.

  1. Have a separate BOM column called REFDES (Reference Designator) which is populated by the component name (R1, R2, R3, IC-1, IC-2, U1, etc...

I've looked at the BOM table API (cursory) and tried to modifiy it using available features. However, it appears the only direct customizatin to a SW BOM is to use a custom property.

This is impractical as each assembly may use the same resistor file and the conversion program will designate each one differently.

I know enough about SW API to designate myself as a danger to others.

Any suggestion on how I might proceed with solving this problem?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar

have you looked at circuitworks?, Ive been running this for several years now and have a good 'footprint' library which we use to import pcad IDF files to grow SW assemblies. Through circuitworks you can import all ECAD attributes R1,R2... which should then be more manageble thro' SW. As for refdes in the lower balloon half...Ill have a look in a bit and see if I have any ideas. cheeers nigel

-----Original Message----- From: snipped-for-privacy@pacificcoast.net (Len K. Mar) [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@pacificcoast.net] Posted At: 24 December 2003 05:58 Posted To: solidworks Conversation: Use of Component Name in SW BOM (2004) Subject: Use of Component Name in SW BOM (2004)

[...]

Bates, Nigel

Nigel,

If I may ask, did you evaluate alternative programs for importing PC boards into SolidWorks before buying CircuitWorks? We use Protel here and I haven't figured out which one would fit our needs best.

Reply to
Jeff N

Jeff,

Several other clients I have use Desktop EDA. They are also using Protel (most 99SE but a few are making the switch to DXP).

I evaluated both programs 2 years ago and settled with Desktop EDA - not much difference in functionality but a significant additional cost for circuitworks. Desktop EDA's new IDF version for SW now has the same functions as its integrated Prote/SW version. I've even beem able tp get it to play nice with DBWorks without much effort.

Cheers,

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar