standard or practice for CAD file naming

hello i am looking for some european standard or practice for CAD CAM and in general PLM stucture file naming. For example "aec (uk) cad standard" just it seems to be more for Architects then for Mechanical CAD.. thanks

Reply to
ton_epost

How about by part number and revision.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

correct part number and revision this is what i would like to know if there is any EU standard like ISO or any other or some practice of file naming for 3D CAD.. Part is file so if i give "part01A" it is not enough.. i mean i would like to have not only part number like 12345 and its revision ABCD but as well if I work with sheet metal it is sheet metal part if there are some configurations I would like to see them in the part name or if it has any external references etc.. after there are assambles and subasm and subsubasm :) and how to find what i need in that mess... I use copies of my parts slightly changed i would like to see it in the file name and finally part should have unique name..

Reply to
ton_epost

If a part is changed it is a different part number no matter how slightly. Parts have descriptions not names. I would not put that in the file name. The filenames would get ridiculous.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

well i would not put dims to file name sure if u do check "aec (uk) cad standard" all what i was writing is correct in fact but just i do prefer to have one for 3d mech CAD and EU one. I do not think that could be ridiculous to have tipe of part like sheet metal etc in the part name.. thanks Bob and what do u mean by part number then?. Like defoult SolidWorks Part1 Part1 ?..

Reply to
ton_epost

I agree with others, except that I would avoid putting the revision IF you have a PLM. There's no point, and just makes file management a message. In fact, even if you don't have a PLM, I would suggest not using Revision in the current revision of the file name but only in the history copies. This is to keep links to files within the assemblies consist.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

If you are doing parts and assemblies for manufacturing each item has a partnumber. The inventory part numbers.

Reply to
sycochkn

hi Bob the question is not to have a number but what you write in your part number or how to name product development data? inventory number is final product ID but not CAD CAM data like part or assambles numbers. If I am seller I do not need to know product development process they need to know how to find and specify particular product. I cannot see something common in final product inventory part number and design proces with all its stages.. Can you give me one example please of the partnumber you talking about? thx ton

Reply to
ton_epost