CAD:

Hello,

I have a non SolidWorks question as my question is rather general, bird-view... I need some information about the types of information developers must find in their CAD- models needed for performing certains tasks, such as visualization, DMU, FEM, simple development, design in context, etc.

For example, take an FEM calculation. What types of information does a developer need to perform an FEM calculation?

checks n modeling history n production feature n materials y tolerances ? measures n solids ? surfaces y

Checks, modeling history, production features and measures in a CAD model aren't needed for an FEM calc. At minimum, one will need surfaces (as discrete elements) plus material info, as they will affect the results. I'm not sure about tolerances and solids though. Are they needed as an absolute minimum?

I need this info for a concept I'm developing. However, it is hard for me as a computer science student having nothing to do with CAD to judge.

I'd very much appreciate, if you could throw your opinions into this thread, as I need much input. The more the better. Even if you just have an opinion and aren't sure for yourself.

Thanks for your help Karsten

Reply to
Karsten Wutzke