Lister LT1 Question

Hello,

I was using the website

try and I.D. a LT1 engine that a relative of mine owns. Although I was able to figure out some of it, I couldn't get all of it. Can anyone help me out? The serial number is 04451LTA30-22.

Thanks!!

Aaron

Reply to
bkbskb06

to try and I.D. a LT1 engine that a relative of mine owns. Although I

There is a later dating scheme which I must get on the website:

The first group of 2 digits are the year of manufacture

Space

The next group of up to six DIGITS not letters is the serial number

Space

The next two LETTERS are the engine type

The next DIGIT is the number of Cylinders (if filled in)

Space

The next pair of spaces are for the Rotation - A is Anticlock

Space

The last pair of digits is the build number

So, yours looks like a 2004 engine Serial 451 Type LT Anticlock rotation

The last two groups don't follow the notation as given by Lister-Petter but almost certainly the -22 is the build number. The build codes occupy a lot of space in the parts books and comprise double digit and double letter codes.

The problem is that there seems to be a lack of adherence to the schemes after certain dates, particularly after the Lister-Petter merger.

Anti-clock engines are usually for the US generator market.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thank you for the help Peter! I noticed that I left out a number in that serial number; it should read 04451LT1A30-22.

I went back to the website and looked over the serial number again, and I came up with 1980 as the model year, not 2004. Perhaps it was the missing "1" in the serial number that made it look like a 2004 model.

Thanks again!

Aaron

Reply to
bkbskb06

If you you use the post-1951 dating method then it probably comes out as a 1980 engine (add 30 to 1950)

Problem is, many of the plates weren't filled in correctly a lot of the time.

The LT1 was produced from 1974.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Why? Does US electricity run in the opposite direction to ours?

David Mack

Reply to
David Mack

No, their preference for rotational direction viewed from the flywheel end is different to ours which is normally viewed from the crank pulley end.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I did notice on the plate that it only listed the serial number. The H.P rating and the year (I think) were missing, which is odd.

Aaron

Reply to
bkbskb06

Hello again,

I have another question for the group. What would be a good price to list an engine like this for? I don't really know where to start price wise, as I have no idea what these engines sell for, so any help would be great.

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
bkbskb06