Deutz Magirus F1L-208D single cyl aircooled @7hp, parts source?

Deutz Canada and Deutz USA don't list parts for this engine. We're using it for powering a ham Radio Repeatersite in BC Canada, would like to find components for the optional intake manifold 12 volt electric preheater unit. The old girl is really hard to start when the weather dips below freezing. Yup, we're using Winter Diesel and Winter oil.

The engine is remotely started using radio control so we can't use the option of dropping a bit of engine oil into the cylinder through the primer hole (&plug) in the cylinder head.

Nobody seems to have heard of 12 volt cylinder "Pot" heaters around here, one of them could be a viable starting aid as well if we knew where to get one.

David VE7IFD

Reply to
Spud

It was probably made by Beru AG

who have a bit of a niche in that market.

If they didn't do it then Bosch is the other source, but my money would be on Beru. I know that our local injection shop has a Beru master catalogue....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

i'm not sure what you mean by 'pot heaters'. did you look at the heater stuff on the dodge/cummins diesel engine? mine's a '91 and it heats the air coming into the intake manifold. it's also 12 volt. maybe some parts would be helpful. sammmm

Reply to
sammmm

Beru, Bosch, and Delphi (was Lucas and CAV many moons ago) make several cold start aids. You can get grid heaters (which looks like the internals of a toaster and fits in the air inlet to heat the air), a couple of automotive glow plugs in the inlet may suffice, or the good old Thermostart unit - an electrically heated coil with a ball valve which opens when hot to allow diesel under pressure from the lift pump to spray across it causing a flame - crude but very effective. A search on Google should pick up most of these, for Thermostarts contact your local Perkins agent - they'll have them. As a last resort you can also get ether injection kits which have a similar (but probably more damaging in the long run) effect.

Regards

Dan Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Sammm and Dan Dan:

Thanks for the replies.

What I meant by "Pot Heaters" was something similar to an aircraft "TempBandd" it's a heated wire inside stainless steel clamp that is put around each cylinder barrel. A "Pot" being slang for a cylinder and head one piece unit, Unfortunately the only heaters I've found of that type are 120 or 240 volt and come as a multiple piece harness for specific aircraft engines. Being a retired farmer I hadn't looked at truck intake manifold heater elements, I had considered those used on some of the older farm tractors and if I can't find something 12 volt off the shelf to fit I'll fabricate a 2" long intake manifold extension to accept a conventional thread in intake manifold preheater element, similar to what was originally available as an option for the engine.

Deutz Canada and Deutz USA no longer support the F1L-208D, it was made by Deutz Magirus (MAG) in France and Deutz closed the factory.

Spud

Reply to
Spud

The current Beru catalogue only lists the F 1 L-310 engine, nothing earlier or smaller in single cylinder engines. If you have a fax number I can fax the page over to you.

The catalogue goes back to 1964 in the applications information, so it is quite possible that an electric cold-start was never fitted. Does the pump have an excess fuel device ?

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

OK, the image that you sent me 3 times as a .gif file turned out on closer inspection to be a .jpg instead (look at the file in Clipboard or Notepad and look at the JFIF letters on the first line) but once I had renamed it correctly I was able to view it OK....

The insert between the air cleaner and the cylinder head is almost certainly a deutz made product/part. The heater element looks very close to a number of units in the Beru catalogue that I looked at this morning, they come in 6V 12V or 24V models.

Vince also has a bigger and older catalogue that he is bringing in tomorrow, which might have more on the F1L208D engine.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Perhaps a bit of lateral thinking might help. I take it that the engine is air cooled and that there is no mains current to the genny, so 12 volts are all that's available.

How about an electrical element and a car heater fan to push the air? Ducting around the heads might do it.............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

That's just what we're using right now, a 12 volt car rear window defroster aimed at the underside of the air cleaner breather cap. The 24 volts off the genset is fed directly to the main battery bank whose voltage can vary form 28 to 20 Volts, attached to that is a 24 to 12 volt inverter that feeds a steady 12.8 volts to all the communications equipment at the VE7RVA repeatersite, ( the engine has no 12 volt alternator so it's service battery is also charged from the 12.8 volt source so, although it's a HD Marine Deep Cycle, it is never fully charged)

I have no idea of the production run years for this @7Hp. aircooled diesel, I checked, cover to cover and the Parts Manual ( pp24 to 66 only, Lists of Assembly Groups)and 91 page Owner's Manual P/N 297 4071 D/E, ( both photocopies) have no dates anywhere. It does have oil specifications that include synthetic 5w/30.

I've got lots of photos of it I can send to anyone interested. Spud

Reply to
Spud

Would be nice to see acouple of pics so we can see what your talking about, and for reference :)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

I found a link to a KHD Deutz site--has specs for F1L-208D

David

Reply to
Spud