Enerpac cyl rebuild

I was given a enerpac RC506 hydraulic ram that needs a overhaul. Anyone here ever rebuild one of these ? If so what kind of problems did you encounter? Who has the best price on enerpac repair kits ? It leaks between the piston and the cylinder i believe all it needs are new seals to fix the problem. Thinking about building a hydraulic press if i can fix this cylinder.

TIA.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I've rebuilt an import clone of the Portapower cylinder. I took it to a shop that rebuilds jacks and we found a replacement cup with the correct metric OD and ID but not the right length, so he ordered it for me and I machined a spacer bushing. He told me that most Asian hydraulics seem to use custom-made parts rather than industry standards. I didn't get the name of the supplier's catalog.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have rebuilt an Enerpac cylinder. You absolutely have to have access to an authorized Enerpac parts source. In Seattle it's Universal Repair Shop. I'm sorry, but I don't know of any online sources. This is one of those situations where a local source is paramount, as it isn't just parts - you'll need instruction on the proper procedures too.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You can get the closest service center online:

Keep us posted, please.

GWE

azotic wrote:

I have rebuilt an Enerpac cylinder. You absolutely have to have access to an authorized Enerpac parts source. In Seattle it's Universal Repair Shop. I'm sorry, but I don't know of any online sources. This is one of those situations where a local source is paramount, as it isn't just parts - you'll need instruction on the proper procedures too.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I tried to re-build one at work. I don't remember the model, but Grainger was able to sell the kit with a drop ship even though it wasn't in their catalog. Around $125 AIR, but might have been less. Ours was leaking from oil mostly out the top of the cylinder as well as a bit somewhere lower, probably from the check valve. All I had time to do was change the cylinder seal, which was one of those square seals with an O-ring embedded in a grrove in one face. Getting the new one in was a PITA as the O-ring kept wanting to pop out. That did fix the piston leak, though. Places like Motion Industries might be able to supply just the seal if you can get the old out in one piece so they can get some measurements on it.

Manuals and parts diagrams for at least some models are on Enerpac's web site. They also list local distributors and it might be worth checking to see what a "tune-up" would run if you can find one in your area.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

As long as the chrome lining in the bore is not damaged you can just replace the seal . Sometimes the piston will actually score the bore enough that any new seal you put in will get damaged right away. enerpac as a Company has designed the cylinders so that cost of a new one is cheaper than repairing the bore on a damaged one.

Reply to
Chris

Is it legal to use "Enerpac" and "Cheaper" in the same sentence?

Reply to
Pete C.