Copying, Renaming, then Re-linking an Assembly?

Hi, I apologize if this has been addressed before.

I am using Solidworks 2004. I want to copy a job assembly (which is actually going to be split into two jobs, with one being modified to be more fully automated) into a new folder, and rename all the filenames to have the new job number. The old job number for example was 100-XXX-XXX.sldprt for example. I manually copied and renamed all the parts and assembly files. Then I opened up Solidworks Explorer to replace all the sub assemblies and parts with the new files form the new location (ie. 200-XXX-XXX.sldprt).

I was able to replace SOME of the assemblies, but many of them return with an error saying "...cannot be used as a replacement because it would create a circular reference". I tried google-ing this error, and I can't find a good way to copy this assembly. Is there a better way to do this? How do I get around the error?

Thanks in advance! I'm fairly new to Solidworks; was trained in an old version of inventor. Jesse

Reply to
JesseLeite

My current favourite method is to open the top-level source assembly, do file/save-as and in the save-as dialogue box hit the "references" button.

You can then give new file names/paths to any/all of the referenced items you wish to be new copies. The only drawback of this method is that you can't change any linked drawings at the same time.

You therefore then have to open each origiinal drawing, do file/save-as, hit "references", make it point to the new part/assy you created in the previous step, et voila.

John H

Reply to
John H

IIRC, the pre-2007 SW Explorer had a find/replace button somewhere on the right side of the window that could be used to do the rename when you make the copy. That is the best time to do it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Reply to
JesseLeite

If you were using a newer version I would say to use Pack & Go because it will do it all of that for you.

But, since I don't think it was available back then, I would suggest opening one subassy at a time, trying to fix them starting with the "lowest" sub, as in the one that calls out only parts. That way you don't get it trying to resolve things you haven't fixed yet.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

When I click on references and did a find and replace to change the filenames and folders to a new job, it said it couldn't do it because those folders don't exist? Does Solidworks not create the new folders itself? I have to create the folders manually?

Jesse

Reply to
JesseLeite

By "drawing" I mean, well.... a drawing!...you know, the things called "drawings" with the .slddrw suffix. :-)

The pack-and-go method someone else mentioned is probably a good way if you are duplicating every part/assy for a new job. Whether there are better options if you have PDM, I couldn't say, but I would hope there are - it's certainly been easier on other systems I've used.

John H

Reply to
John H

Folders need to be created manually.

I am on Swks 2006 and SWks Explorer allows easy dup & rename of assemblies, but I don't have access to 2004.

SWks Explorer has had a "Copy Document" option under "Edit" menu, which allows you to rename an assembly, or just put on a suffix automatically, and its parts and save to a new location/folder.

Check this out first.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Good enough. It's a real pain, but I got it transfered and linked properly using a combination of the "save as" method, and sw explorer. Thanks for your help guys. Jesse

Reply to
JesseLeite