Renaming Assembly Components

I'm renaming/renumbering most parts in an assembly in preparation for sending it to vendors. I've used SW Explorer to rename the part files and haven't had any problems with lost relations. But I can't find a way to make the new component description (which is the new part file name) overwrite the old component name (which is what I prefer to show in the feature tree). I can RMB to get component properties and manually copy and paste the description field into the name field, but this is a huge waste of time.

Does anyone have a macro they'd share that would automate this task?

Going Ctrl-C Ctrl-V crazy,

Art Woodbury

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Found the problem. My system options had changed for some unknown reason. Under External References there is a box to "Update component names when documents are replaced". I've always had that box checked, and forgot it existed.

Now if I could find why that setting changed .........

Sorry for the false alarm.

ArtW

Reply to
Art Woodbury