Interesting Macro ......

Hi:

The company that I work for uses the name of the base solid in a part to help identify that component in an assembly.

Example: You rename "extrude1" to "BRACKET, MOUNTING, ROTARY SHUTTER" . Then when move your mouse over the component in the assembly, the popup shows what the part is.

This is helpful when working concurrently, and you many not recognize the part numbers....

Anyway, the only way to do this is to copy/paste the text from the Description Custom Prop or to retype it.

Has anyone out there written a macro that can simply take the text from the custom prop and write it into the name of the first feature?

I don't really know anything about macros but this seemed like an easy one. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

Reply to
Todd Brake

I just use the "Show Component Description" option checked on to display the name of a part in my FM. Works great for us, does the same thing and no macro required.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

It would be quite easy but still an hour or so of work. There are examples of each of these out there.

to get the description

PartDescription = part.getcustominfo ("" ,"Description")

for the feature name.

Feat.Name = PartDescription

there is more to it check out the examples on traversing the feature tree and depending on the consistency of your group you may need to do something a little more complex when getting the custom info.

First off I presume the custom info is per model not configuration specific. I don't think you have the option of having a different name per config, Do you?

Second if within your company there isn't extreme consistency on the caps in the field title (eg some are "DESCRIPTION" and others "Description" and others "description" you may have to handle this because the properties are case sensitive.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Richard:

What you're talking about is different. That shows the description next to the part in the feature manager. Useful, but not what I mean.

What I'm talking about occurs in the gfx window -- hover your mouse over a component and it's description pops up in the gfx window.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Brake

Thanks for the info Corey.

Actually, we are using configuration-based props. I wish I had some time to figure this out but I don't -- we're in full swing on a new product and blah blah. I'll forward this to one of our software guys, maybe he can figure out how to make it work.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Brake

for reference this would be to get the "Default" config's description

PartDescription = part.getcustominfo ("Default" ,"Description")

Reply to
Corey Scheich