Copy Custom Property Macro

I have been using a macro for some time now called CopyCustomInfo--Esox.swp. I downloaded it from

When run, it simply copies custom properties from another SW file of your choice. Since upgrading to SW2006, I can't get it to run. I know that there is something about setting SW type library on your macros when upgrading to a newer release. I tried doing this, but I may not have been doing it correctly.

I was going to contact the place where I downloaded it. But the website is way out of date and there is no contact information that I could find. It is probably no longer maintained.

Can anyone help me get this working again? What do I need to do?

TIA

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Open the project in the VB editor and go to Tools/References. There you uncheck the 2005 references, and instead check the 2006 references SldWorks

2006 Type Library, and SolidWorks 2006 Constant type library. Should work then.

WT

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:BFSyf.26373$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thank you Wayne for your reply. I followed your directions and here is what I run into:

  1. When I open the references, there are 4 references already checked: a. Visual Basic For Applications b. SolidWorks Extensibility Type Library c. OLE Automation d. Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library
  2. I go down the list and check "SldWorks 2006 Type Library" (note the spelling) and "SolidWorks 2006 Constant type library"
  3. When I click OK, I get this error message: "Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library"
  4. When I go back to the References list, only one of the two selections actually stayed checked. It was "SldWorks 2006 Type Library". If I try to re-check the "SolidWorks 2006 Constant type library" and click OK, I get the same error all over again. It will not stay checked.
  5. I (being a dumb as a bag of rocks) assume that it must have something to do with the "SolidWorks Extensibility Type Library" reference already being selected so I try to un-select it first, but it won't let me. The error it gives when I try to uncheck it is "Can't remove control or reference; in use"

Any clues what going on now?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Wayne,

You rock!!!! I have a few macros that I have not been able to use in a while and did not know why they did not work, now all of them do.

Thank You!!!

Ben

I Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Ben Eadie

Try running it without the SolidWorks 2006 Constant type library checked - you may not need it. If that doesn't work, you may still have another constants library checked - check one more time. If not, how about sending it to me and I'll try running it here. You can find my email down below.

WT

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:xOTyf.16428$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

My wife is sleeping with the webmaster. I'll have her tell him to get some updates.

No contact info? I thought I at least had a customer service email link.. Since I changed jobs, I haven' had time tom maintain like should. Perhaps I should put up a quick change just to say I am still paying attention. At the moment I am in China, and access to my own website has been spotty. Sometimes blocked, sometimes not.

Glad to hear you like the program enough to try to fix it. I haven't had my mitts on SW2006 yet, so I haven't been able to test it. I think I actually wrote it to be compatible back to SW2001+, so there may be some old junk lurking in there. I've been using it w/ SW2005 no problems. Thank you, Wayne, for the effort.

I actually have a much slicker version in the works. Better interface. Again, new job is more demanding, so it's been hard to find time.

Reply to
That70sTick

Wayne,

OK... I figured it out. It had nothing to do with referencing the SW type libraries or anything like that.

I found that it would only NOT run from my macro button, on the macro toolbar. If I manually ran it, it worked great. So I went to the Customize Macro Button dialog for that macro button and found that the Method was set to "CopyCustomInfo.ExitStrategy". I changed this to "CopyCustomInfo.main", and my button started working again. Apparently I accidentally set this wrong when setting up SW2006 (just a few weeks ago), and it has been driving me nuts ever since.

Man!!! I wish I knew what some of these settings, like this Method setting, actually meant. I have been saying for years now that I would like to learn this VB stuff so I would at least be able to understand how these macros work. Heck, I could even write a few for myself that I have always wanted. But I never seem to find the time, and I wouldn't know where to start the learning process anyway...

Again, thanks for the help.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Tick,

I didn't realize this was your site. Sorry, I didn't see the customer service email link either. I went back to check. Yep! It's there.

I got the macro working. See my reply to Wayne.

This is a great macro. I use it regularly. The few macros that you do have available are very unique. Not simply another version of an existing, common macro. I like that. To bad there are only a few available though. You probably have a few that you are hording all for yourself though.

So, your in China. Where are you from originally?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I live in Wisconsin. I'm in Suzhou, west of Shanghai. Got a 12-mold project starting up. Coming soon to a Home Depot near you.

Should I put you on my beta testers candidate list? The "Density Manager" predates SW's material database. Maybe time to upgrade that. Suggestions?

Reply to
That70sTick

Yeah, I'll beta test for you.

The only suggestion for upgrading a density manager that I have, may not be possible. But I'll throw it out here for you and see what you think.

I don't like the user interface for creating new materials in the SW materials database. I think it is cumbersome to use. Maybe instead of upgrading the "Density Manager" macro, you could instead simply make a better user interface for the new/edit SW material database. Possible?!?!

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I've done a quick and dirty parse of the installed SolidWorks material databases in VB. I'd be more than happy to send you the code.

If so, please respond here and I'll send it to you.

Have fun in China.

Reply to
Chris Dubea