Solidworks Explorer Error Renaming Files

Has anybody else noticed SW's Explorer having problems renaming files?

I'm trying to rename files and, every once in awhile, it will pop up a box saying it can't rename a file because it is either in use by another application or it is read only. I know for a fact that the file is not read only and it's not being used by any another application, since I was the only one here at work doing anything with Solidworks files.

Kind of annoying to try and get anything done with this problem.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

I've seen that too - its not often, but it does pop up from time to time. Don't know what to do about it, though. To get around it, I revert back to the old method (open the part and all of the documents that reference it, save the part to a new name, then save all of the referencing documents.)

Reply to
edeaton

I've noticed something odd about SW's Explorer. It let me rename the assembly file now. What i had to do is open the drawing file of the assembly. I expanded that to show the assembly file and all the parts. I right clicked on the assembly file and said rename, gave it a new name, said apply, now it renamed the file. But what I've been noticing is that it won't rename the top file that you open, if it's a drawing file or an assembly file. It also was giving me the same error if I try to rename a part file that has some in-context relationship with the assembly file or another part file.

Sounds like SW's Explorer has got some bugs in it, but I'm sure they'll tell us that they're features! ;-)

Reply to
Richard Charney

i've noticed it too (more than a few times), running sp3. however, renaming still seems to work even with the error.

Reply to
kenneth b

Hello Richard- My VAR recommends downloading and using the latest service pack of SolidWorks Explorer as a stand alone application. This is what I use. I use SWEXPLR everyday and I don't have any problems. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Sounds like a plan, I'll give it a try.

Thanks! Richard

Reply to