Going to VISTA?

Information Week did a survey: Over a third of the companies would be on VISTA within a year, but 30% had NO plans to EVER upgrade.

As an aside, I have seen average PC users with new VISTA PCs which have supremely disappointed the owners. The last was VISTA home edition on Dell 1501 Inspiron laptop yesterday, which is only a week old, used for email via Yahoo which is now almost unusable. It takes a Minute or more to load a web page or Explorer, and getting Explorer to navigate to network settings crashed every other time I tried. Every piece of malware must have attacked that machine in the last week. So much for advanced security for the average user.

I just can't understand the mayhem at Microsoft, as I really expected a more intuitive GUI, not less. I can't see MS as leading the charge for being the OS that runs high end software like SolidWorks into the future.

Am I MISSING something?

Thanks - Bo

Quote: Tech professionals at the businesses surveyed were asked the following question: "When, if ever, does your company plan to purchase and install Windows Vista?"

One quarter of the 612 survey respondents said they were already using the new OS; 13% said they would do so in the next 12 months, while 27% said their companies would adopt Windows Vista more than one year from now.

But in what will surely be viewed as disappointing news at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, WA, a full 30% of those surveyed said they had no plans to upgrade their systems to Windows Vista -- not ever.

Reply to
Bo

Bo,

Have the notebook user check the performance settings in the mobility section of Vista. Mine came with a default setting for extended battery life which really killed performance. Once I changed that setting, performance for general use is pretty good - even with 1GB RAM.

My biggest beef now is buggy support for dual monitors. It will work fine after a cold boot (not easy to do with a notebook on Vista!) but once it goes into sleep mode, the second monitor is inaccessable. (The display is there, but you can't move the mouse to the second screen.)

Still, I would NOT recommend Vista for SolidWorks - at least not yet.

Reply to
jimsym

Unfortunately, my view of VISTA is that it is going to take a year or two for it to settle down.

Meanwhile, unsuspecting XP Pro users who barely know how to use XP are going to be a bit baffled by VISTA, as has been seen with the last two users I worked with.

Reply to
Bo