Vista

Stick with XP... Although the Vista Aero interface looks good, tumbling windows, transparency et al looks good, and the security is theoretically better (but a pain, always asking for permission - so you end up ignoring it)

XP is solid, reliable and works for me. (I'm having a painful job rewriting a solid app (about 500000 lines of c# to make it work with Vista)

Plus there are a few security issues with Vista including local escalation of privileges - should be a patch out for it real soon)

Most businesses are avoiding Vista like the plague - they buy licences for it as part of the MS Upgrade pogrom but I haven't heard of ANY sucessful transitions.

Reply to
Derek Lord Of Misrule!

Hi Derek, I don't know if the misspelling was deliberate but it is quite apropriate considering the subject. 8^)

Dave Croft

My daughter jumped straight from '98 on her home computer to Vista on her laptop for university. All the peripherals work with it because it was bought as a complete package. But... When it fried the power supply, she borrowed someone else's laptop with XP for a while and definitely preferred it. The owner had all sorts of little extras added in which worked fast and effectively. (The legacy of a well tested and sorted bit of old software.) Like myself my daughter objects to jumping through unnecessary hoops decorated with pointless eye-candy when a more simple device does just as well, or often better.

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs