SolidWorks and Vista

It's not something I want to do but our company are migrating to Vista,

Anyone know which version of Vista for Solidworks?

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

Don't think it really matters what version of Vista you use. But since it is a company I would imagine you'd be using Vista Business.

Reply to
Raptor

Reading some of the IT online articles, I also see that a lot of businesses are simply waiting for the official Vista SP1 which is obviously in Beta release right now. What I've read indicates no fixed time for the final public release, but given the issues involved in moving to essentially a new major OS release, I think I will wait until the dust settles on SP1 for a few months before I would ever move a lot of computers to Vista.

For one recent comment on what is coming:

Bo

Reply to
Bo

We are a small company and will not necessarily be migrated to Vista Business , some users are getting Vista Home Premium so, does anyone know the pro's and con's of either?

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

you might also be interested in which version of sw.

kenneth

I guess one of the major differences is a 32Bit versus a 64Bit operating system

I've not used SWX 64 bit version, is the performance any different assuming the only difference in PC spec is the OS

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

A logical question to ask might be if it is right & necessary to switch such a massive application as SolidWorks and all its accessories to Vista in the beginning of the rest of the businesses switch to Vista?

Just as users have noted, 32 bit, 64 bit and how well SolidWorks is up to the task in Vista is only part of the equation, given the new Service Pack that is also coming soon for Vista.

Given what I've been through on major upgrades, I think I'ld like to stay with XP Pro for just a bit longer and keep the overhead time of the switch to an absolute minimum by waiting for the dust to settle in the engineering applications & OS.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Do you mean between the business and ultimate editions of Vista or between versions of SolidWorks?

The business version of Vista should be sufficient for SolidWorks.

I've done two post on moving to Vista you may also find useful.

6 Factors Before Upgrading to Vista and What you need to run SolidWorks on Vista

Personally, I'm waiting till SP1.0 from Vista and SolidWorks 2008 is well out of pre-release.

Josh

solidsmack

Do you mean between the business and ultimate editions of Vista or between versions of SolidWorks?

The business version of Vista should be sufficient for SolidWorks.

I've done two post on moving to Vista you may also find useful.

Personally, I'm waiting till SP1.0 from Vista and SolidWorks 2008 is well out of pre-release.

Josh

solidsmack

Spoken like one who has reinstalled things too many times.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

This is really a questions that can be most easily answered for both you and the comany IT person by going to the SW website or asking the VAR.

According to SW 2008 will run on VISTA. That is all they say.

As far as graphics cards go, SW only lists ATI and NVidia and then only for XP and 2008. Nothing is listed for VISTA.

My conclusion is that SW isn't ready yet. Since you can't run 2007 on VISTA and 2008 hasn't been released you probably need to stick with XP for another six months to a year.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

So, does this mean that if I go out and buy a new Dell M90 (or i guess any new PC) wthat comes with Vista pre installed Solidworks will not run and I should also buy XP Pro and re-config before use?

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

No, you should buy the new Dell, format it on arrival. Grab your current XP Pro disc and install it. :P

Reply to
Anonymous

IIRC SW 2007 doesn't work on VISTA. Some on the NG have done it, but in compatibility mode. If you are like me and wait to install the latest version of SW you will be on XP for another year at least.

What surprises me is the lack of graphics drivers, video card information, etc. for SW2008 and VISTA. Like I said, check with your VAR.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

TOP wrote in news:1187948512.656018.254200 @r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

XP is still available on the M90. Last I heard, MS was going to stop issuing OEM XP licences at the end of the year. Hopefully, with enough demand, that will get extended. Or at least, Vista SP1 will make it a worthwhile OS, and everyone will be on SW2008 with proper driver support.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

MS is readying SP3 for XP Pro, so you know they are going to be forced to keep it going longer than they admit. Too many businesses don't want to switch.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Interesting. I hadn't heard about XP SP3 yet. I wonder why any business would install Vista, then.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

A quick search of Google on "Win XP Pro SP 3" will get a bunch of hits. Supposedly due in final release form early 2008?

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I honestly dont know why ANY business would even consider installing VISTA. Its a no brainer.

Reply to
Anonymous

Couldn't let this slide by :)

As a software development company, the upgrade of some of our machines to Vista is a no brainer, there is a lot of good stuff in Vista and we have to be ready when our clients demand support, and quite frankly I like it, each to their own and all that.

As a Solidworks user it's equally a no brainer to stay on XP for the moment, there's no hardware support and no software support that isn't pre-release.

Such blanket statements like yours above help no one!

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead