Solidworks 2007 and Vista

We are locked into Solidworks 2007 for the next 2 years due to program requirements.
Part of the program requirements is that we provide engineers to
our clients site. To accomplish this we will be buying HP workstation laptops. By default they come with Vista Business but HP will provide the XP disks to us. To fully utilise all the laptops ram we would need to stick with Vista. Have there been any problems with the combination of Solidworks 2007 and Vista?
Phil, can you elaborate on this?
Is HP or is there a chart/graphic comparison you were given to show that Vista was better with ram over XP using SolidWorks?
Otherwise,.. who/what/where/how,.. is Vista utilizing the ram better, more efficient or different to use it over XP?
..
On Oct 1, 11:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@tagaerospace.com (Phil Evans) wrote:

It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that Windows XP can only access a maximum of 4 gigs of ram. Vista 32 bit has the same limitation but Vista 64 bit can access 128 gigs of ram.
Phil Evans wrote:

That's not what you said originally. If you're worried about that, why don't you get XP 64bit since I don't believe any vershon of SW exits curently that runs on vista64.
Daisy.

Phil,
As Daisy has pointed out, if at all (I'm not positive) you need to have the SW2007 or SW2008 64 bit version and they're not available for Vista (maybe in alpha?).
You'll sol if you're wanting to run SW with more ram under Vista 64 bit at this time.
The only real benefit of using Vista on a laptop I believe is power management?
..
On Oct 1, 1:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@tagaerospace.com (Phil Evans) wrote:

well that solves that (non)problem then :-)
Thanks
XP comes in a 64 bit flavor. I can't imagine running a model that big on a laptop. Either way, one issue with 64 bit has been drivers. This would be more of a problem with VISTA and especially with laptops.
I built a very nice "luggable" by attaching an LCD flat screen to the side of a mid tower.
Consider this:
Any laptop with that much ram is primarily tied to a power outlet. So buy them a 600 dollar laptop for Open Office and put the big bucks into a real computer and a soft padded aluminum case to carry it in.
TOP
Phil Evans wrote:

Don't beleive everything people tell you ,especially when it comes to program requirements. Vista is a RAM HOG. You will definitely use all of the ram a laptop has with vista because it will use it ALL.
Yer better off with XP. There is a 2007 version for Vista, but it was beta. Ur better off with real released softwre. Your not missing anything by avoiding vista or 2008.
Daisy.

Be sure to order the right HP systems. The new 8510w and 8710w will support the full 4GB RAM (max on notebooks) when running a 64-bit OS and there are drivers for WinXP-64 for both.
The older nw9440 and nw8440 will only recognize up to 3-3.5GB RAM - even if you use a 64-bit OS. I'm not sure if they even came out with drivers for XP-64 on these systems.
Phil,
What everyone seems to have missed is that yes solidworks will run under Vista 32 bit, BUT......
1,You will be using software OpenGL = slow, even if you get a driver working, it is still not very good.
2, You can NOT install service packs as Vista is not recognized by the Solidworks windows installer.
Been there, tried it!

pete wrote:

Come on, you don't have amuch of a attention span, do yoy.
ogl drivcers are available for a bunch of Nvideo cards. They don't have to run in software ogl. How do I know? Because I'm using it That way. Dint read it in a magazine.

I bet yor the kind that uses a wrench to knock in nails. This is only true with the NON-VISTA versions. 2007 had a vista version beta, but I don't think there were any sps. 2008 hasnt had any sps yet.
Daisy

Pot,
Neither did I read it in a magazine, I tried it, on a Dell M70 Laptop.
The Dell driver did not work, even the Forceware drivers do not work well, but better than the dell.
No mention of Solidworks 2007 Vista, in the original post, only Solidworks 2007.
It pays to read the post that is being answered first, you know, paying attention!
You seem to be spending too time, putting people down, rather than concentrating on giving advice.
Hmm...reading your recent posts, you are beginning to sound like someone in San Diego, CA, it must be catching, lol
Have a Nice day!
:-P

Pete,
You need to clarify that it did not work for you in your particular situation with a Dell M70.
That is where some of us have an issue. A lot of people are talking the line of a year or more ago with Vista and Open GL drivers, performance, etc. At that time the statements may have been true with their particular hardware and software.
The hardware and software people are not standing still and are delivering product that works well with Vista.
Cheers,
Anna Wood
Anna,
Did these other people manage to get the service packs to install with Solidworks 2007, ( not Vista)?
I have looked at previous posts and I can see no mention of them being tried or tested.
As you stated things change, that is why I took the time to test Solidworks 2007 with Vista and the Dell.
Also this test was not done a year a go, but two weeks ago.
Quote 1, "You will be using software OpenGL = slow, even if you get a driver working, it is still not very good."
May work for other people, again I have not seen any other posts, stating that there were no issues were found.
Quote 2, "You can NOT install service packs as Vista is not recognized by the Solidworks windows installer."
Again, no posts mentioning that they, were able to install service packs.
The original question was on Solidworks 2007, not 2007 Vista, so I can not see why people would have an issue with my remarks.

pete wrote:

yeah. I see. its easy to make excuses after youv already said something stupid. maybe you should keep your trap shut unless you know what your taking about.,
Daisy

Posted by someone who can't even read correctly....hrm..
--
Anthony

Fuckit plonk im--one less crosposting leg-humper....

Did you manage to get the service packs to install with Solidworks 2007, ( not Vista)?

pete wrote:

Solidorks 2007 for vista beta never had a SP as far ask I know.
Why would anyone (a drunk asshole or not) want to use the version of SolidWorks 2007 which was not meant to be run on Vista on vista? I never made this installation, so I never installed service packs. I'm not an idiot.
You;d have to be a stupid drunk asshole to install non-vista SW on vista. When there are other versions of the software intended for Vista. Wrench-hammer.
Drunk wears off.
Stupid is forever.
Daisy.

WTF???
Read my post,
solidworks will run under

your reply,
They don't have

Why would anyone (a drunk asshole or not) want to use the version of

Hmm, how are you using it that way, if you have never made this installation??
People try to use drivers and software on a new operating system to see if something works. Many people have had to buy new printers etc..., because there are no drivers for Vista. On the other hand people have found a way to get their printers working under Vista, with drivers not made for their printer.
Played with Linux yet?
Now there's a operating system that needs a lot of people to test things. Great software btw.
People like you never try to improve things, just because someone says, "it can't be done", doesn't mean it can't, just that they haven't found a way yet.
You are a joke!, no really!, you are!
You have totally misread my post and are tripping yourself up in the process.
STAY off the alcohol, it's screwing you senses, damm.......... too late!