Slow Solidworks 2007 Saves

We currently are having issues saving to local and network storage. Our CAD computers have no hardware bottlenecks as CPU only reaches 50%

+/- when saving; however, sits there for about a minute, freezing the program then you finally see the actual saving outgoing bandwidth spike and the program finally unfreezes thirty seconds later. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ckoehler

Lets start by cleaning up the computer. This can help, trust me. Temp directories need to be purged of all data that you can. Typically I sort by date and delete all not from today. Internet explorer temp files. Open a IE window and from the tools pulldown select internet options. On the general tab there is temporary internet section. Select the delete file button, sometimes this can take 10 or more minutes to complete. Close IE. Empty recycle bin. Check defrag states. Has this been done lately. I do mine on a schedule for once a week. Check your save time, is it still a long wait? Try a reboot and check your save time, is it still a long wait? These are basic items that should be done regularly.

If this is not the problem it may be network traffic. Check with IT on phone and have them monitor network for packets from your computer. These should be fairly quick to pass and identify. Is there any delay algorithms running that would slow transmissions? Are you tied to a network switch that has way too much traveling thru it? I have seen local switches with 10 users on them tied to another switch full of switches from other locations, tied to a full switch that goes to a server. There were 300+ computers running thru one switch to one server. Another item is network architecture. I have seen a delay on a network that was stated to be a 1GB. On inspection I found CAT5 cables on the computers. CAT5 is only capable of 100MB even though it may state more in task manager. The server did have proper cabling between the server and first switch. The imbalance on the network caused slowdowns and sometimes a failed to save which I get a CDT eventually.

Another item to watch is how do you start SWx. The proper way is to start SWx before opening any files, this puts the journal file in the start in location for your SWx start. If you double click on a file from network to start SWx, it is leaving the journal file in this location, which can cause this issue.

If this is not the issue then give us more information, what version of SWx, what version of server OS, ... iQ

Reply to
iQ

Which SP do you have installed for 2007?

Reply to
fcsuper

I see exactly the same behaviour here, also on 2007 (sp5.0). Funny thing is, I used to regularly see people posting here about the slowness of saving network files, but I never used to have any problems, despite previously using a slower PC connected to an old-ish server via a

100MB connection.

Since we've had a new server (and I'm also now on a Core2Duo laptop with

3MB of RAM), the performance has been crap. I don't know what the difference is (anti-virus, DNS, firewall, routers???), but it runs like a dog now.

John H

Reply to
John H

currently are having issues saving to local and network storage.

Same here, we have a brandnew dell server duad xeon 3.06ghz w/4GB of ram and three SCSI hard drives connected to a 48 port gig-e switch. traffic is less than 1mbit average during peak times.

Reply to
ckoehler

ping is less than 2ms from laptop to server. cables are perfectly ran. all machines run fast and save big files fast besides solidworks. we are currently running solidworks 2007 and it seemed to save faster before, now we tried saving even locally on the computer and it took

1m to finally save and 1.5m to unfreeze the solidworks program. network wise when we save it seems solidworks sits at 50% or so CPU on the laptop for about a minute then spikes network traffic to save and then sits therefor about 30 more seconds just doing nothing still locked up.

any ideas would be great.

server is quad xeon 3.06ghz ht? 4gb ram and dual scsi harddrives. laptops are dual core p4's with 2gb ram and 120gb ide drives. all connected via gig-e network with gig ethernet cables.

Reply to
ckoehler

"ckoehler" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...> are currently running solidworks 2007 and it seemed to save faster

I had something close to that quite a while ago, that solved emptying the temp dir.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Tried it...we use CrapCleaner here at work on all computers and manually emptied out the temp as well. Save times are still 1.5m or even more now.

Reply to
ckoehler

another suggestion would be to disconnect network cable from comuter and try saving locally. is this faster?

and another suggestion is look at your virus software. do you exclude SWx executables and files locally? you may need clearance from IT/ management to do this.

these issues are very hard to identify, i hope that one of these suggestions from the crowd can help. iQ

Reply to
iQ

Hi there,

I recently experienced the same behavior of SW 2007 after a severe CTD. In my case the reason was the harddisk array running as RAID 10. After the CTD the RAID initiated an internal validation and restore of the complete hard disk which in my case (8 TB) needed 4 days to get finsihed. During that time saving data and starting programms was a real pain. After 4 days everything runs smooth again.

You might try to check your hd activities with matrix storage console.

Good luck

Jojo

"ckoehler" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@r60g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
JOJO

As far as my experience shows, that is just the way that SW runs. Your CPU only reaches about 50% because that is usually all that SW can handle. In other words, SW is running as fast as it can for that minute or two. I have no idea what SW is doing during that time, but it always does it. The interesting thing to me is that it works much the same even if I have already saved all of the parts and assemblies that are open. What information is it figuring out and saving?

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Given the cost of a company maintaining a designer/engineer employee and his workstation in $s/hr, I would think it would be prudent for the IT staff to maintain their own statistics on the CAD network activities which let it monitor & know whether individual machines or network traffic has been botched up.

I would think they should also be able to reinstall OS's from drive images whenever corruption causes some inherent bad situations like CTD, BSOD, and terminal lockups.

Sure seems to me like this is an IT function that is necessary to save massive $ losses in wasted engineering hours.

Sometimes the comments I hear about the "slow company network" or "problems after a CTD or BSOD" imply that the IT department is simply not up to speed on best practices to hold costs down.

Am I wrong?

Bo

Reply to
Bo