Insert Part - which config?

I want to insert a part into a weldment, but I don't seem to get any opportunity to choose which part config I want to insert it as - neither before nor after the insert operation. I presume it is just being added in the config the part was last saved in.

Is this a current limitation, or am I missing something?

2007 sp5.0

John H

Reply to
John H

RMB (right mouse button) over the inserted part or in the feature tree and click on "list external references" and click on the "configuration name" arrow for other configs.

..

Reply to
zxys

Thanks - wouldn't have spotted that one!

I'd tried looking at the External Refs of the whole part, but even if you highlight the particular ref in the list, you still can't change its config from there.

John H

Reply to
John H

oh, make sure your insert part is open for the config names to show.

..

Reply to
zxys

Yeah, it would be NICE if a config option was given upon inserting... but, that would make sense. (Common sense does not come very easy to SW Corp,.. they need more marketing BS and somebody telling them that Inventor, SolidEdge, IronCad,... or whoever has this so,.. why doesn't SW have this!?!?!? And of course they need more $$$ and users to have it changed!?!?! Then they need to release it and break it a few times to maximize their return on investment... SOS,.. poor QA,.. great f%@k the users business plan!)

I think I answered your question on the above, you must have the insert part open to see the config names,.. we must have posted almost exactly the same time

..

Reply to
zxys

This is avaliable in SW2008. You can also create a config property manager so you can pick the config based on its size or other info rather than just the config name. This is good if you give part numbers to the configs.

-JB

Reply to
jburtonSW

Ah,... not sure what you're talking about but the interface for insert part in 2008 is no different for this? We could do this is for at least 3-4 years or maybe since Insert Part was included, ~2001?

..

Reply to
zxys

Sorry I wasn't that clear on the last post. Right click on the Part name at the top of the config manager and select create Property Manager. Add info to make it easier to select the config (can link to dimensions/features etc) or you can select "Comfig name" from the specify dialogue on the right.

Hope that helps,

Reply to
jburtonSW

hmm,.. I don't get this... what does this have to do with Insert/Part and accessing/changing the configuration and the differences with past releases using Insert/Part interface?

Or, how you are accessing the Configuration Property Manager through Insert/Part interface to get these special configs?

Anyhow, I honestly don't see how this has anything to do with the Insert/Part interface and accessing configs but I do see this as another bowl of worms in achieving consistency with the interface.

.. (SW Corp, where consistent inconsistency is not just a motto, it's a fact!)

Reply to
zxys

I will add one more nuance to the insert part relating to configs. Yes, what you say is true in that the referenced part must be open for the configs to show up in the list external references box...

But, if you change the config to something other than the config that the referenced part is saved in, problems can still occur. Here's what could happen. If you close everything and re-open the part that contains the referenced part, without actually opening the referenced part, everything will look good at first. But, if you do a ctrl-Q rebuild, it will try to rebuild the part using the last saved config of the referenced part. Or at least that's the way it used to react (have not tried this in SW2007 or later).

I would assume that if you have your system options set to load referenced document always, than this would not be an issue. But who in the world has their settings set like that?!?!?

So basically, when opening up a part that contains a multi-config inserted part, it would always be a good idea to open the referenced part as well. If the user is aware that the part they are working on even contains a multi-config inserted part, then all is well. But unless you are the creator of that part, it would be something easy to miss, and there could be lots of problems....

Seth

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"Seth Renigar" wrote >

Interesting point, Seth. I've recently encountered a similar problem but with the configs used by lightweight sub-assembly components. If I don't open up the sub-assy before opening up the top level assy, it causes some of the sub-assys to change configs.

This is a complete PITA for me as it causes a load of mates to flip, but at least I know how to correct it. For someone else opening up the assy, they would think I'd left it in a completely screwed-up state.

John H

Reply to
John H

Yes, you're right. What can we do,... hope they'll fix it? It's not going to happen.

Rant on,....

We will not see SW Corp fixing the problems/limitations using configs or incontext relationships with insert part or assemblies. The problems are only going to get worse. And, pardon the pun but, SW Corp never had the forethought or the INTENT to handle multiple relations well. SW struggles with 1-2 levels incontext with the simplest of geometry and small component count, then, enter some shared surfacing and it starts to churn the cud. It's sad, and users are trying the best they can to do their jobs with this POS, and don't care or complain,.. because there isn't a choice for most users.

SW is a middle class design tool which will continue trying and failing to piece together and be something it was never designed to be, a high end design tool.

They have become a true bureaucratic corp which has too many things on their plate and it is destined to fail.

,..rant off.

.. sorry but, it's true.

Reply to
zxys

My impression is that SWX is the Windows 98 of 3D CAD systems. If we're lucky, in about 4 years time it will have progressed to being the Windows XP of CAD systems. i.e. not great, but at least fairly secure and stable.

John H

Reply to
John H