part config help

I've been using solidworks (2005) for a while, and have gotten sorta decent with it. I started to toy around with building things using extruded material, like from 80/20 and bosch - but I'm feeling like I'm wasting alot of time managing a boat load of configs...

I have a part, say a basic 30x30mm t-slot extrustion, and then I'll have a few configs - where 1 length is 30" and another 20".. Perhaps 1 config has a

12" piece with 45* chamfer ends. I have hte base stock, and then a drawing where I perform the cut.... In the sketch I set my dimension, and store that dimension in whichever config I want. But the problem with this, is as I build my model, if I decide to resize something a little bit, I have to go back to the part and modify the configuration.. This just seems very time consuming. Of course, it's not always just length - like I said, some pieces might have 1 or 2 beveled ends, at various angles.

Help get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

Reply to
Tom

Dear Tom,

Try making your configs using design tables, i'm not sure that if it can a be a solution for your problem but it can be bit easy to do the modifications.

Regards

Deepak Gupta Tom wrote:

Reply to
Engineer

another way to handle the various lengths of the stock is to have a "stock" piece of the material that you copy to the working directory. In the assembly, edit the extrude feature of your stock component to what you need for that assembly (like to another part face or a plane). There is usually no reason to save this particular length anywhere but in the current project folder. hth Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

The Weldment function could solve a lot of your issues. Try the online tutorial built into SolidWorks.

John Layne

John Layne