(Weldments) Insert> Part... >save, close, open > = ? part out of context ?

What am I doing wrong with Weldments? I made a weldment of sq. steel tube from sketches. I needed to add plates, so I created new part files of the different shapes, inserted them using Insert> Part..., move them into place everything is fine until I sdave, close and reopen the files. Then I get a "->?" next to each part I've inserted, when I right-click on each inserted part to List External References, it says "part out of context".

Any ideas? Thanks Whit

Reply to
hayduke

Parts are not typically inserted into weldments. A Solidworks weldment is a mutli-body part file where each multi-body was created using a feature(s).

Weldments are typically created using the "weldment tools". Turn on your weldment toolbar to see what I'm referring to. You can add any type of profile (for extruding) to the existing library. Also, look up "weldments" in Solidworks help.

Reply to
remy martin

True, but when I saw this method demonstrated in a class at my VAR it looked like a handy feature. The weldment I'm working on has a number of mounting plates as well as structural steel shapes. This Insert> Part... method is the "best" way I can figure to use this feature as it was intended, otherwise I would need 'profiles' for all these different mounting plates or model it as an assembly.

remy mart> Parts are not typically inserted into weldments. A Solidworks weldment is a

Reply to
hayduke

Try opening your assembly, The ?s should go away when the ass'y is open

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

"Michael Eckstein" wrote in message news:am9ee.39184$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga...

I believe you would need to have each "part" open in this case, then ctrl+q.

Reply to
remy martin

The upper assy file inwhich this 'part' is used also shows the " ->? " next to the part. When I open the weldment part it still has all the " ->? "'s but the Inserted Parts are still associative, I can edit them and they do update in the Weldment Part.

I tried opening a few of the Inserted Parts and sure enough a ctrl + Q does make the "->? "'s go away, until I close a part at least. I'm beginning to think this is a minor bug rather than something that's going to bite me hard in a few days/weeks.

Thanks

remy mart> "Michael Eckstein" wrote

Reply to
hayduke

No bug, that's the way references work.

Just as in-context parts (in an assy) will have its in-context features display a ->? if the assembly is not open.

Reply to
remy martin

Aaahha, I see. I seldom do in-context work. Thanks for the enlightenment.

This is my first 'complex' weldment, before I simply extruded bodies in the part file, I thought Inserting might be a good way to go this time, it's still a toss-up, except now I have a bunch of extra files to keep up with....

Thanks again

remy mart>

Reply to
hayduke