Ballooning with part numbers -REVISITED-

I came across this thread on the subject

We've been using the first method mentioned in that post. Edit a Excel BOM to have the item# column equal the description column. This method has been working for us just fine, but we sometimes have trouble with the BOM, and have to delete/reinsert it. I like how the second method works, and the fact you dont have to worry about inserting a BOM. BUT, when using the BOM, you can have automatic balloons.

My question is, is there another method to use that is better than these methods? Anyone else have comments on the above methods, and why one is better than the other?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Thanks :)

Reply to
SW Monkey

Mr. Monkey.

The basic problem is you need an external database to maintain your item/bom relationships within a finished good. SW simply does not cantain this information within its data set.

You may want to talk to a local DBWorks reseller. I recall a demo Integrated Partner Solutions developed showing how they had associated each part within an assembly to a single Item Call number. This call number appeared on all the drawing BOMs across multiple sheets and sub-assemblies.

For example: Widget was assinged a call number of 3. Widget is being used by several sub-assemblies located under the top end finished good assembly. Every time you generated a BOM with the drawing the Widget was called out as 3. Thus, every part in the finished good could be crossed referenced across drawing sets using the same call number.

My .02 worth.

Len

SW M> I came across this thread on the subject

method

Reply to
lmar

Hmm... you have me confused. I dont want widget to have a Call number assigned to it, but rather its part number (which is the filename in our case).

The custom Excel sheet described above works for us, but we have problems sometimes when adding new parts to assys. After adding the part, the part doesnt show its correct part number. Even tho we have "Automatic update BOM", we have to delete the BOM, then reinsert it so all the balloons will update to their part number.

Reply to
SW Monkey

If memory servers me correct they also demonstrated other database fields could be used. I vaguely recall them replacing the call number with the part ID (five digit number). However, since DBWorks captures the filename I imagine it would be a simple process to replace the partID with the filename value.

Hope this unmuddies the water (Oh look !!! I just invented a new word!!!!)

Len

SW M> Hmm... you have me confused. I dont want widget to have a Call

number

Reply to
lmar