Getting Excel spread sheet into Pro-E

I am able to do this but the final image is kind of washed out.

I have Adobe Acrobat distiller, Corel draw. But with all of this I still can't get a good clean images into the pro drawing.

I start in the excel spreadsheet.

Select the cells of the table I need, print to Acrobat. When it is open in Acrobat I select the table with the Graphics select tool. I pick edit copy.

I then open Corel draw, past in the image. Save this as a corel file.

I open the pro drawing, insert object, browse to the Corel file, select OK and it inserts.

I drag the image to size it.

This all works well but the image is a little fussy.

Another method is to use a camera tool in excel go straight to Corel, it comes in very clear, But I can't get it to load into the drawing.

Hopefully there is a better way that I don't know about.

Any one know one?

Frank

Reply to
fmcdougle

I am able to do this but the final image is kind of washed out.

I have Adobe Acrobat distiller, Corel draw. But with all of this I still can't get a good clean images into the pro drawing.

I start in the excel spreadsheet.

Select the cells of the table I need, print to Acrobat. When it is open in Acrobat I select the table with the Graphics select tool. I pick edit copy.

I then open Corel draw, past in the image. Save this as a corel file.

I open the pro drawing, insert object, browse to the Corel file, select OK and it inserts.

I drag the image to size it.

This all works well but the image is a little fussy.

Another method is to use a camera tool in excel go straight to Corel, it comes in very clear, But I can't get it to load into the drawing.

Hopefully there is a better way that I don't know about.

Any one know one?

Frank I guess I've never put an Excel table in a drawing before. Just using 'Insert>Object' and picking the worksheet works fine. Unless you want the table/cell borders to be dark and I don't think they're supposed to be. The numbers are nice and dark and sharp, though. What's the monkeying around with Corel Draw supposed to accomplish? The only problem with Objects in Pro/e is that you have to print them with Windows Print Manager and this doesn't automatically pick up the print table file unless you put the full path in the MS_PRINT_MGR.PCF option for Table_file. This could have something to do with how darkly things print. Another thing I've noticed about other objects in drawings is that they don't scale or scale well. So, you need to put the object on a big enough format.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l22g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

'Insert>Object' and picking the worksheet works fine. Unless you want the table/cell borders to be dark and I don't think they're supposed to be. The numbers are nice and dark and sharp, though. What's the monkeying around with Corel Draw supposed to accomplish? The only problem with Objects in Pro/e is that you have to print them with Windows Print Manager and this doesn't automatically pick up the print table file unless you put the full path in the MS_PRINT_MGR.PCF option for Table_file. This could have something to do with how darkly things print. Another thing I've noticed about other objects in drawings is that they don't scale or scale well. So, you need to put the object on a big enough format.

Thanks David, They do want the table line to be thick, and some filled. I tried the insert object straight from excel and it lost all of the table. I tried inserting the pdf copy and it also would not show properly. When I made a Corel version of the PDF it would insert properly, but a little washed out.

At a company I recently worked at I could bring a PDF in with the object insert and it was fine. I'm wondering if there is some setting in PDF I need to change so I can do it here also? Or a setting in my config file.

Frank

Reply to
fmcdougle

.com... >

Thanks David, They do want the table line to be thick, and some filled. I tried the insert object straight from excel and it lost all of the table. I tried inserting the pdf copy and it also would not show properly. When I made a Corel version of the PDF it would insert properly, but a little washed out.

At a company I recently worked at I could bring a PDF in with the object insert and it was fine. I'm wondering if there is some setting in PDF I need to change so I can do it here also? Or a setting in my config file.

Frank

I'm using WF3, so that experience may not help here, but a couple observations:

Regarding PDF, the direct pdf translation in this version does offer some options which might help. Also, the inserted table's cell outlines can be adjusted to different colors and line widths. I found that this was reflected in the PDF file.

Regarding Pro/e and configuring it, there are three PDF options, including one that seems directly applicable, pdf_use_pentable which can use pen table settings (I presume the default one pointed to by pen_table_file). This normally just specifies different pen thicknesses, but the pen and thickness can be keyed to object colors. There's a section on this and other printing settings/options in the Fundamentals section of the Help.

Between the two, there's some experimenting you can do.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

snipped-for-privacy@c30g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

[...]

I want to let you know what I finally came up with to get the Excel Spread Sheet into a Pro-e Drawing.

  1. In the spreadsheet select the entire table, then select the Icon of a Camera. =B7 This makes a copy of the document. The camera may need to be added to your tool bar. =B7 I tried to use Paint but I found it did not have enough control of the final image so I went to Corel. =B7 There may be more in paint but I didn't spend the time to find out.
  2. In Corel I started a new file, set it to horizontal. =B7 That was my table shape.
  3. Then I selected "Paste Special". =B7 It gives a chose of pasting in an Excel Spread Sheet.
  4. I pick the "Excel Spread Sheet". The sheet loads. =B7 I sized it to fit the Corel page by dragging the corners.
  5. Next select "Export as Windows.bmp". =B7 A window will open with some selections. I selected "Black & White", and set the DPI to 700 (maybe a little high but this is the extra I wanted that I did not see in Paint) =B7 Paint worked but the curved and diagonal lines where very dithered. The Corel at 700 dpi came out very sharp. 600 was good but still a little dithered.
  6. Export to the directory you will browse to.
  7. Open the Pro-E drawing, do an "Insert Object", "Create from File", "Browse" to your directory.
  8. Select File, pick "Open", and pick "OK". =B7 The file will open lower left corner of drawing.
  9. Pick the file, and drag to position you want, stretch file to size desired. =B7 The file will be white with black text, but don't worry, the white will not print, and it will be as if it's transparent.

Hope this helps and thanks for your help to get me to this point

Frank

Reply to
fmcdougle

[...]

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D I'm coming to this discussion a little late but....Camera??? what camera? =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Do you mean 'print screen'? ...copy/paste into a graphics program like 'paint'? =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D I tried inserting a picture from an external file and that doesn't work either....the inserted files are there they just aren't viewable unless you run the cursor over them -and- it also doesn't print them them either. Am I missing something here? I'm on WF2

Please elaborate...

Thanks,

Paul =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
hmedes