Link an Excel file in a SW drawing

If I link an Excel file in a drawing, rather than embedding it, I haven't found the key to specifying what portion of the spreadsheet shows in the drawing. I would like to split it into 4 parts to show in 4 areas of the drawing, but it wants to show the whole thing. Any thoughts?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

How about this...Open Excel, highlight the cells you want to show, Copy to Clipboard, flip to SW drawing, click on the Sheet, Paste.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

To get it to show only a certain part of the design table on the drawing. Choose the edit Table option, no Edit Table in new window. What you see in the edit table on the screen is what will show on the drawing face. Format it and size it, close it and when you look at your drawing if the DT is already there then after a rebuild what you saw on your model dt you will see on your drawing. One issue is with windows and its size availability for an OLE. If what you see in the model is not all there in the drawing then you have the size max for windows. One thing is the size seems to come real fast whan using Excel.

Neil

ncustard

Hello Wayne,

I found a work-around with limitations. Link the 4 different areas that you would like to show to 4 different work sheets in the workbook. Insert the file as a linked OLE excel file. Copy & paste again the inserted excel file 4 times into the drawing & delete the original inserted file. Now you have 4 copies of the same linked excel file in your drawing. DBL click each individual file go to the excel worksheet that you want to show & save in excel & close out of excel. Do that for all copies and you will get different views....

The drawback...it will update all displays to one and the same the next time you open the drawing...imo...not suited for production..but if you really need to go that way...at least a start.

to force the display area in the drawing select the range in excel & RMC -> select set print area. In SW RMC the insert spreadsheet and select _reset size-that will resize the spreadsheet to the print area. That seems to make a difference. In my test file anyways...

good luck,

elmo

Reply to
Elmo

The workaround that actually works better than what you mention is to just embed it - then it behaves. But if you choose to link it, it won't.

I tried the print area idea and on mine it didn't faze it - I still get the whole thing. This is just an Excel file, not a design table or anything. I can cut & paste but then it's embedded, not linked. I'm wondering if this is a bug, or I just don't understand something.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Hello Again,

I forwarded another solution to Wayne without posting...but i thought this might benefit others as well.

The solution is to create a new workbook the is linked exclusively to the original workbook (master). Then you insert the linked workbook into your drawing and embed the file. Now you can rearrange it as you like and have multiple copies. All the cells of the embedded file are still linked to your original and update when you make changes to the master.

And if you move the master from the original folder location you will not loose the data, it just wont update. You could simply create a new copy and your links would be intact again.

hope that helps...

Reply to
Elmo

Just one minor thing to remember. The master spreadsheet must be open in excel befor you open up the drawing inorder to update after double clicking or otherwise you have to double click the spreadsheet and got to EDIT-LINKS-UPDATE LINKS and the values update acordingly.

On a final note, this works but inherits risks. If it is not properly documented, you will most likely find a user that ends up stranded....