Excel Based File

OK, Let's say I have a Excel Table that has part numbers, labor cost, Material cost, and a column for total cost. Let's say I want to insert this information on a part by part basis onto my drawing sheet. I want to create part number 43, and have a table on the drawing sheet that will go to this excel file grab certain cells from part number 43 and return the information to the drawing. Is there a way to do this? Do I set it up in a design table on the model part or the drawing? Do I enter it as a hyperlink or in the file properties? Can someone help point me in the right direction, let me know how to begin setting it up? The rest I think I can handle, as long as I can get the info from the excel table to the drawing.

Thank you

Reply to
Chadli

If you log into downloads at

you will find an API download that goes into Excel/SW linkage in detail.

Reply to
TOP

Wow, that's a lot of information! And here I thought it would be something simple, suchas entering a command somewhere in a table to reference outside information.

Reply to
Chadli

Just a thought, but you could link an Excel cell to a custom configuration property $prp@"CustPropName" and then use that name in a custom BOM column name. Just sounds like a long ways to go.

Good luck

Tony

Reply to
Tony

That's a great idea and it woks fantastically, if you only have one configuration per design table. I would like somehow for the part name/number to go to the table(which contains information for 100 parts) and automatically find the corresponding row and insert that stuff into the approriate fields (i.e. $prp@labor_cost) into the appropriate area in the solidworks summary information.

Reply to
Chadli

I haven't been following everything here, and I haven't explored the linking of Excel into SW, but in Excel you can do a dLookup to have a value go find another based on that value.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

But I need the values for a certain part inserted into a solidworks drawing. I have a database for a customer that has probably thousands of parts. In that database I have columns listing Part numbers, material cost, labor cost, etc. I would like to have the drawing link to the excel based database and pull that info for that one particular part and insert it into the drawing. The best way I found to go about doing this is to insert it into a design table for the model part this will propogate the summary information (configuration specific) and from there I can link text properties in the drawing to access the information on the summary info table. However I don't know how to get the appropriate part number information into the summary info....

Reply to
Chadli