Family Table Woes

So, I have an assembly that has multiple instances.

I have a screw file that has 10 different lengths... all instances of a generic.

I want to change which instance of the screw is used in each instance of the assembly.

How exactly do I pull this off?

Thanks.

Reply to
Aggrevated

I think you open each instance of the assy, click on the screw and go to >edit>replace, replace by family table.

Reply to
graminator

On Nov 20, 4:15 pm, Aggrevated wrote: > So, I have an assembly that has multiple instances. >

I think you open each instance of the assy, click on the screw and go to >edit>replace, replace by family table.

I can't recall ever trying this, but I tend to think that the 'edit>replace>by family table' method will not put individual screw instances in individual assembly instances. Here's why: the regeneration of family table objects, whether part features or assembly components, is governed by the table. And, you can't control or vary the regeneration of anything which is not in the table. So, the only way you can get individual screw instances into individual assembly instances is by putting the generic screw in the generic assembly table and listing the instances under it by the appropriate assembly instance. I think....

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

But that would replace the component in every instance.

Reply to
Aggrevated

To be more specific... I want different instances of the assembly to have different instances of the screw

Reply to
Aggrevated

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

family table' method will not put individual screw instances in individual assembly instances. Here's why: the regeneration of family table objects, whether part features or assembly components, is governed by the table. And, you can't control or vary the regeneration of anything which is not in the table. So, the only way you can get individual screw instances into individual assembly instances is by putting the generic screw in the generic assembly table and listing the instances under it by the appropriate assembly instance. I think....

Right, so there's a generic assembly with a generic screw, then instances of both.

Reply to
graminator

assembly instances is by putting the generic screw in the generic assembly table and listing >the instances under it by the appropriate assembly instance. I think....

Ok. Clear as mudd. So what type of Column do I put in the family table?

Reply to
Aggrevated

assembly instances is by putting the generic screw in the generic assembly table and listing >the instances under it by the appropriate assembly instance. I think....

I use 2000i2, but i think the principle should be the same from what i remember of wildfire select component as your column. there are then 3 ways to do it.

1 use tools, configure assembly compoents, and select the item, and replace it with the instance
  1. in the cell, type in the name of the instance instead of the y/n
  2. Open the family table instance, and then replace it with the screw instance

option 1 is a little harder to navigate, but the best one. for just screws you should be ok, but when you have motre complicated parts as family table menbers, yuou may have problems with refences in parts not updating properly if you choose options 2 & 3

cheers Craig

Reply to
rec . music . makers . percussion . hand-drum

assembly instances is by putting the generic screw in the generic assembly table and listing >the instances under it by the appropriate assembly instance. I think....

open your family table editor and "add column"... select "Component" then select your fastener, go into your table this is where you normally would have a "Y" or "N" under each instance, instead type in the name of the component instance you want for each of your instances in the table, verify and try opening one..

good luck,

DD

Reply to
davedekker

Well, unless anybody can show me different I say... This doesn't work if the part is "flexible"

Reply to
Aggrevated

Reply to
Aggrevated