New Gaming Rig gives Sizzling SW2005 Performance

My computer caught on fire the other day while playing one of my favorite games, Delta Force - Typhoon Rising. I was now forced to buy a new motherboard, processor, memory and video cards.

Since I do CAD and love to play these 3D processor intensive games, I opted for some pretty fancy hardware as follows:

=B7 Gigabyte NF4 Ga-K8nxp-SLI compatible Motherboard =B7 2 Gigabyte| 6800GT Gv-Nx68t256dh Video Accelerators =B7 AMD64 |4000+ Athlon 64 939p CPU =B7 4gb| Pc3200 Ram

Needless to say my gaming performance is nothing short of spectacular. The pleasant unintended consequence was the Solidworks performance I am now getting.

I can now take super complex models and rotate like crazy. OpenGl performance is unbelievable. Photoworks just rips through the most complex rendering jobs. Stability has improved almost 100% (This might have something to do with 4GB of RAM)

The key to all this I think is the SLI array of not one, but two video cards working in tandem. I am so pleased with SW performance that I feel almost bad now about complaining previously about flaky performance. My computer takes 12 seconds to boot up to the desktop now!

I feel justified now in spending all this money on a gaming rig just because of the added SW performance.

So for all of you Roller Coaster Tycoon, Halo, Battlefield 1942 and Far Cry freaks out there, maybe its time to upgrade.

Reply to
sales

Funny you should mention your system catching fire. I overheated my RAM the other day running FEA. Seems like SW will overheat a CPU while FEA will toast RAM and hard drives.

Reply to
TOP

Awesome! How about a "ship in the bottle" benchmark test?

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Since I do CAD and love to play these 3D processor intensive games, I opted for some pretty fancy hardware as follows:

· Gigabyte NF4 Ga-K8nxp-SLI compatible Motherboard · 2 Gigabyte| 6800GT Gv-Nx68t256dh Video Accelerators · AMD64 |4000+ Athlon 64 939p CPU · 4gb| Pc3200 Ram

[...]

Devon T. Sowell

Report to Client...

When beam subjected to force A, Beam will start to burn!

Reply to
sales

What is a "ship in the bottle" benchmark test?

Reply to
sales

Search for Ship in a Bottle on this NG.

Also try STAR2.1 which you will find on the SW discussion forum. In place of STAR you could also run BoxTree which you will find on the NG.

Here are the main benchmarks:

  1. Ship in a Bottle (Regen and graphics)
  2. SPECapc from SPEC.org (graphics)
  3. STAR (CPU test)
  4. PATBENCH (IO test)
Reply to
TOP

Try this link. You can run four different benchmarks with a SW flavor:

TOP

OK. Ship in a bottle I was able to run in 28.5 seconds. Is this a good time?

CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+ Manufacturer AMD Family AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+ Architecture 64-bit

Dual SLI NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU Driver 7.1.8.9

4GB DDR400 RAM
Reply to
sales

Yup. If you change your options for shaded mode to fast you should be able to get down to 18 seconds. To my knowledge there haven't been any Intel systems that can touch 28. Did you get a chance to try any of the others?

Reply to
TOP

I ran the benchmarks and here are the results. Are these good or bad?

PatBench 6.6 seconds

SPECapc

**** Overall Test Results **** Note: All results are in seconds. Lower scores are better.

Test Number 1 Test Total = 473.49 Graphics = 108.59 CPU = 176.03 I/O = 188.87

Test Number 2 Test Total = 444.34 Graphics = 109.68 CPU = 178.54 I/O = 156.12

Test Number 3 Test Total = 443.95 Graphics = 110.74 CPU = 176.57 I/O = 156.64

Test Number 4 Test Total = 444.13 Graphics = 109.86 CPU = 175.41 I/O = 158.86

Test Number 5 Test Total = 442.9 Graphics = 107.74 CPU = 176.85 I/O = 158.31

Test Averages for 5 tests(s). Test Total = 449.76 Graphics = 109.32 CPU = 176.68 I/O = 163.76

Reply to
sales

Not at all bad. Here's one of my best runs:

Test Number 1 Test Total = 566.14 Graphics = 131.39 CPU = 207.98 I/O = 226.77

Test Number 2 Test Total = 545.78 Graphics = 135.5 CPU = 204.2 I/O = 206.08

Test Number 3 Test Total = 542.63 Graphics = 132.2 CPU = 202.32 I/O = 208.11

Test Number 4 Test Total = 544.82 Graphics = 135.85 CPU = 203.28 I/O = 205.69

Test Number 5 Test Total = 548.27 Graphics = 139.6 CPU = 201.77 I/O = 206.9

Test Averages for 5 tests(s). Test Total = 549.53 Graphics = 134.91 CPU = 203.91 I/O = 210.71

This is an Athlon64 3400+, QuadroFX1100, 1Gig RAM.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

There are two ways to post results. If you go to this link you will also find the other ways. But, yes, it is pretty fast on both Patbench and SPECapc. Have you been able to get STAR to go?

TOP

Reply to
haulin79

But what benefit to SW?

Reply to
TOP

I believe I heard that sw2006 will take advantage of multi processors and dual core for drawing regeneration of large assemblies when fully resolving lightweight.

And of course Photoworks benefits.

Hopefully we'll see more in future versions, seems a given considering that ghz won't be increasing much anymore and multi cores on the processor will be the future.

Can any> But what benefit to SW?

Reply to
Jason

In addition to multicore optimizations in the future releases, most designers/engineers do not only use SolidWorks. Throw in a sprinkle of PDM, ERP, Geomagic, MathWorks, PhotoShop, your favorite CFD or FEA package and you'll have a dual-core at 100% utilization in no time.

Reply to
haulin79