insert part

I inserted a part. A battery door. I was able to rotate it 90 deg. and move it in the X&Z to get it under the opening but couldn't move it up in the Y to fill the opening. Tried everything. Any ideas? Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube

Right click the top line in the feature manager and pick View Dependencies. Then go down and look at the specific part to see if it accidently got any relation/mate to something else when You brought it in

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

I must have done something wrong because the "view dependencies" choice is not there. The top line in the feature manager has a question mark after it. So does both parts I inserted. There is a top & bottom which line up nicely. The top has a question mark after it and also the door. Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube

hm....with top line I mean the name of the main assembly....If You have an assembly and You rmb the name of it in the FM, You sure should have the "View Dependencies" option avaliable. Otherwise ...highlight the name of the main assy....go to View... FeatureManager Tree...there should be two options...By Features and By Dependencies....if You're in 2003 ay least

Krister

Rudy Kube skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Krister L

In 2004 it's hidden under Tree Display....Wiev Mates and Dependencies....when You rmb the top level assy name

Krister L

Rudy Kube skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Krister L

In either version of SolidWorks you can right click the part in either the feature manager on in the graphics area and select view mates. Look for a mate you didn't apply.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

Yeah right....sorry I forgot about that one

Krister

Dave H skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:0RTmb.35506$Tr4.64823@attbi_s03...

Reply to
Krister L

"Rudy Kube" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

"Insert Part" is a command in the *part* environment. Everyone seems to be assuming that you are working in the assembly. Which are you working in, a part or an assembly?

matt

Reply to
matt

Does any know how to prevent SW arbitrarily making mates when a part is inserted or control copied in an assy?

I'd prefer to choose my own mates. :-)

Reply to
Cam Jackson

I am working in a part document. I inserted two parts. And yes the main part at the very top has a question mark after it. It is the name of the file. Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube

Why are you working in the part environment? Since you have a top, a bottom, and a battery door, it seems like you should be working in an assembly.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Ruby,

I've wondered this myself but since I locate my insert parts via the same coordinate system, I have not had too move/rotate my insert parts. Plus, the interface sux and I've said my piece and it continues to be sllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwllllllllllyyyyyy implemented................................

You're right it does not work as one would expect it should. You have to activate another angle to rotate from and then the X, Y or Z (depending on what axis) becomes active. The insert/part interface, is lame and incomplete!

Otherwise, what you can do are separate Move/Copy Bodies to locate your part.

Insert/Part is being ignored right now and it "COULD" be a great feature but the interface and it's implementation is LIMITED!!!!!!!! Heck, how does a user change the insert part to another part, like replace in assemblies or similar to Imported??

Also, SW2004 has problems with insert/part and surface bodies, another reason NOT to use SW2004!

arrrgggghhh.. (you've touch a sensitive subject,.... NEXT RELEASE PROMISES>>>>>>>>)

..

Rudy Kube wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador