Translate and Rotate Part in Part problem in SW2003

HI All

I have a part inserted in to another part with the objective to do a Combine/Subract operation in SW2003 SP5.1. The part inserted is supplied by a vendor in IGS format so I cant really do any editing on this file. The problem: the inserted part has a different orientation from our existing design, it does not seem possible to do both a XY Translate and a Rotational translation on the inserted part. Has anybody else come across this, what work aroun did you find without doing a major rejig of your existing design. Thanks in advance. Brian

Reply to
McBrian

On the contrary, you have many options to both position and modify the "dumb" part. Let me count the ways:

  1. Repeated use of Move/Copy will allow positioning the "dumb" part (DP) in any location desired. Each move copy will show up as a separate feature. You may want to put a point in the DP and in your model to assist in final location if that helps.

  1. You can scale the DP

  2. You can remove faces from the DP.

  1. You can replace faces in the DP

  2. You can draft faces in the DP.

  1. You can scale the DP ( including scaling different amounts in different directions.)

  2. You can deform the DP.

  1. You can add any parametric feature available to the DP.

  2. You can run the DP through FeatureWorks and get some or all of the features in parametric form if it is that kind of part.

  1. You can of course slice and dice the DP using cut.

  2. You can use fill surface to close off holes.

  1. And back to your original positioning question, you can also insert both the DP and the other part into an assembly, mate it and then put a cavity feature in the other part.

This all assumes that after importing the part you did a CHECK opertion with VERIFICATION ON REBUILD turned on to make sure the IGES came in clean.

I probably missed a few, but I wanted to be able to put this to the twelve days of Christmas. :)

McBrian wrote:

Reply to
P.

Hi P

Ye I know you can do all these nice things with a dumb part(7+yr user, that was not the question. The problem is you can't rotate AND translate or vice versa a part in a part whether it's dumb part or a SW part.

Hope you had a merry xmas

McBrian

Reply to
McBrian

Hi P

Appologies, had a play around this morning and worked it out. I should press the ? button more often. I was trying to do it all in the "Locate Part/Launch Move Dialog but that will only allow you one translate/Rotate. Never had to use the move/copy body option before so many thanks for your direction.

Have a Happy New Year

Brian

Reply to
McBrian

And I didn't realize that you were doint this on the initial insert.

BTW, watch out with Move/Copy. Bodies moved with it don't alway follow the parent/child rules well and can cause problems with preceding features.

Reply to
P.