Hiding table borders in formats

Hello...

I have drawing format and template files (A1, A2, A3, A4) made in a way that user defined parameters (names, dates, numbers, materials) are being called in a template file (not in format). That works OK if there is only one sheet in a drawing. When I add another sheet those parameter are not there... (and I don't expect them to be there)

Is there a way to call the parameters in format files without showing table borders around each parameter. I menaged to hide a table line only if it's not an outside border. What I am trying to do is to keep the original table and that table is drawn by hand using lines of different thicknes....

Why does user-defined-parameter-note (in format) have to be inside a table? Or even better question. Does a user defined parameter note have to be inside a table?

Thank you...

Reply to
Tomislav Cabraja

It can just be a note in your format. It doesn't have to be in a table.

Reply to
graminator

On Jun 13, 12:03 pm, "Tomislav Cabraja" wrote: > Hello... >

It can just be a note in your format. It doesn't have to be in a table.

Can you superimpose a Pro/e table on top of the graphically pleasing drafted table (with varying line thicknesses, possibly imported as DXF or IGES)? The advantage of table cells is that they give you the ability to format the text within the table/cell/row/column, especially if it's not a repeat region table. But calling a parameter in a drawing is the same, whether done in the format or the drawing: the parameter name is preceeded by an ampersand. Besides the user defined parameters, there are some system parameters that can be called in the same way. BTW, in the template file, can't you go to 'Tools>Parameters' and create and store those parameters with the template? Just curious, I've never done what you're trying to do.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

[...]

Once again, I assert that the dots are the problem; do not do &assem.membr.name, do &assem_membr_name (or whatever the correct syntax is ~ and yes, I believe this is a syntax problem.)

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

David Janes

Once again, I assert that the dots are the problem; do not do &assem.membr.name, do &assem_membr_name (or whatever the correct syntax is ~ and yes, I believe this is a syntax problem.)

David Janes

David, Thanx you for your trouble but I cannot believe that there is a syntax difference between template files and format files. I used copy/paste.

I just opened one of the PTC's formats Subform.frm and is filled with dots in paramters.

Tomislav Cabraja

Reply to
Tomislav Cabraja

David Janes

Once again, I assert that the dots are the problem; do not do &assem.membr.name, do &assem_membr_name (or whatever the correct syntax is ~ and yes, I believe this is a syntax problem.)

David Janes

David, Thanx you for your trouble but I cannot believe that there is a syntax difference between template files and format files. I used copy/paste.

I just opened one of the PTC's formats Subform.frm and is filled with dots in paramters.

Tomislav Cabraja

I was thinking of Repeat Region Relations where report parameters are referred to the way I described. But, yeah, I see what you mean about Subform.frm and ECO.frm and IDX.frm all having the dots. At the same time, look carefully at the tables. Did you notice the purple box around the table? Even if it's only one cell, this shows the extent of the Repeat Region. So, these are some kind of specialized Repeat Region Report Parameters, but ones that I've never seen before. However, typical report parameters are not preceeded by an ampersand. Normally, after you've set up your table and identified the extent of your region, you fill in each column with a report parameter, such as rpt.idx (which generates the find number) rpt.qty (which generates the quantity per item) asm.mbr.name, asm.mbr.type, etc and others for including user defined parameters (like vendor or cost) for each item in the table. The other thing about this is that BOM type tables are typically created in the format and appear when you place the format. I'm not really familiar with creating drawing templates, but I suspect that you'd typically not place the table directly in the drawing without the format. But either way you do it ~ in the format or in the drawing ~ the report parameters work the same way. But, these are REPORT PARAMETERS, not user defined or even system parameters. When those are placed in a table (without a repeat region) or simply as a note anywhere on the sheet, the parameter value is preceeded by the ampersand and the parameter value has no periods. The parameters you create with 'Tools>Parameters' do not allow a period in them, only an underscore between words. All of this is covered in the Help under both Fundementals and Detailed Drawings. I refer to it all the time to answer my own and others' questions.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

[...]

I'd guess it's something about how your user defined parameters are formatted. For example, you had, as an example, &xy.xy which would be illegal. Underscores are permitted but not a dot in a parameter name. So, maybe you could give some real examples of the parameters that won't work. It might help with the troubleshooting process. As to the suggestion of drawing parameters, unnecessary as I see you create the parameters in the models. Which makes your problem all the more puzzling since it should have no problem simply SHOWING the value of existing parameters. Are these part drawings or assembly drawings? Things get a bit more complicated with assembly drawings and notes because the same parameter can refer to several different components and the assembly as a whole. &SCALE wouldn't be a problem because it's created with the drawing, when the first view is placed, nor would any other system parameter. 'Help>Fundementals>Parameters' or look under Detailing for parameters: some good, basic information here.

[...]

Thank you, David. I will investigate a bit more about that underscore etc...

Is it ok from me to ask who you are? I mean, You are replying to almost every question in a most polite way. I recently began to read this newsgroup and few days ago I read your reply to that guy who asked about some book for his "semi-worthless interns". It was just perfect...

Thanx again...

Reply to
Tomislav Cabraja

[...]

Thanx again... I think I'll answer the last part in the thread, "What's your biggest model ever?", from Polymer Man. As to your promise to "investigate a bit more...." always good to hear but what we don't hear enough is the results of those investigations, i.e, the involvement of the engineering community who've been helped here or stimulated to dig deeper, in helping others. If you want to see an example of such a community, go to comp.cad.solidworks ~ USENET at its finest and an excellent model of a helping community. True, it's a little combative, a little like a hockey game, lots of jostling, elbowing and stick play, but, if you can take the jabs, you'll come away with a lot of help and some friends. We could use more of that here.

"Interns", yeah, I know, touchy subject. I've taught a bunch of them, seen some come back as direct employees, JR MEs. All I know about interns is that they're about some good engineering grunt work and learning the engineering trade, not about sitting in some hot seat or being productive and getting out critical designs. Expecting the latter and putting a lot of burden on interns is a sign of bad management and opportunists at the top who are just looking for some cheap labor. Is there an interns' "Don't Apply ~ Sweatshop" list on the Internet? There should be! Everybody says "The youth are our Future!" So, do they expect the future to be shit, cuz that's the way they treat the youth!?!

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes