Parameter asking order in .frm files

Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to set the order ni which parameters are 'asked' when I create a drawing. I have several fields that I want the program to fill in the drawing, but the order ProE asks me for the information seem random. For example I want it to ask me for company name, part name, designer etc in that order, but it asks me for part name, designer, company name, and I can't get it to change the order. I even tried to create the parameters in a special order when I create .frm file, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

regards Bjorn

Reply to
Bjorn Ljungdahl

: "Bjorn Ljungdahl" wrote : Hi, : : I wonder if there is a way to set the order ni which parameters : are 'asked' when I create a drawing.

Not that I'm aware of. If these owere repeat region parameters, it would be aidifferent story, of course. My general reaction is to wonder why they are being asked. I've seen it before, but only in the context that the parameters didn't exist in tghe model or existed in the model but contained no values.

: I have several fields that I want the program to fill in the : drawing, but the order ProE asks me for the information : seem random. : For example I want it to ask me for company name, part : name, designer etc in that order, but it asks me for part : name, designer, company name, and I can't get it to change : the order.

A valuable source of information on this is the Help section on Pro/DETAILING. Check out System parameters: in the first place, what you are calling part name is already available as MODEL_NAME, picked up by the system, no 'asking', no user input required. Further, something consistently used, like company name, ought to be placed, with the proper value, in the start part. The aim of much of this, including standard notes and most of the system parameters, is to 1) eliminate the tedium and time required to manually fill in parameter values; and 2) to eliminate as much user error as possible.

: I even tried to create the parameters in a special order when : I create .frm file, but it doesn't seem to help. : : Any suggestions? : Do as much of the parameter filling in the model/assembly. Create all the needed parameters in the start parts. Get people used to going to 'Tools>Parameters' and filling in parameter values. If parts appear in assemblies, you can also set up the Model tree to show the parameters which need to be filled in and use the tree for data input, since it lists all the parts. An alternative is to create the prompts with Pro/PROGRAM (in the Input section where you have complete control of things like the order in which users are prompted). If you do this in the start part and have it ask when the part is opened and first named, this carries through the assemblies and drawings.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I use parameters to fill out the title block in drawings. There are a few steps required, but once you have it set up it works great.

1) Create format with tables and parameters. 2) Create drawing template using format with default parameters

After you have the drawing template created with the default parameters all you have to do is create a new drawing using the template. To modify the parameters choose Edit-Value and click on the cell in the drawing that you want to modify. This way is doesn't matter what the parameter order is.

Bye

Reply to
Brooke

Thank you for the suggestions. I guess I have to take the time to set up everything correctly, but it's better in the long run.

/Bjorn

Reply to
Bjorn Ljungdahl