SW2008: MicroSoft SBS Remote Desktop

SW of course makes the claim to be complatible and (usable) with MicroSoft's operating system. With each "improvement" to user experience SW pushes hardware and OS to new extremes. This became apparent with Remote Desktop even with high speed internet connections. Both sketcher and using the middle mouse button to rotate are extremely slow. In contrast using other Windows software is much faster. Even UG proceeds faster than SW. Both the UG graphics and the dialogs are much faster than SW use of fancy graphics techniques and sprites.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

As a remote solution, try HP Remote Graphics, it's optimized for CAD and OpenGL. I tested it and it works quite well with SW.

Nice look + fast = impossible? Maybe the next Windows (hopefully re- written and modular) makes a difference.

Markku

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Markku,

Thanks. In this case there is no choice for me, it is company determined. The company does everything by MicroSoft's book. My point is that SW, which is in up to the neck in MSoft's method of doing things doesn't play well with SW or vice versa. IMHO it is because SW goes for all this fancy stuff which is so demanding on the graphics. UG which is arguably a more capable program plays much better in this environment at the expense of not be quite as user friendly.

If SW is going to go the full up MSoft route shouldn't they play well with some of the MSoft productivity tools?

TOP

Reply to
TOP

MS does not care if few CAD users are having problems, they just try to sell it to the average user that wants to use the internet, chat and play mp3. It's more for fun than serious work I'm afraid. Look how they messed up with OpenGL in Vista for example. NT4 was a rock solid tool for serious work...after that...hmmm. But hey, MS pretty much bought NT4, thy didn't make it themselves... :-(

Here's another interesting piece of remote kind of software: free and very small, maybe it uses IE somehow because the size is so small...so it could be pure MS-stuff:

Markku Lehtola