Which version for Vista ?

I am about to order SW2007 and cant figure out whether SP 3.0 will run on it or the Vista version. It appears as if the collective thought is to wait
but we are looking at the inevitable transtition and want to make the right choice. TIA.

According to Mark Biasotti post under the subject "Vista Pre Release", in this newsgroup.

No doubt at some time in the future we will be forced to "upgrade" to Vista, at that time the 64bit version will be the only sensible option, if you want to get the benefits of more memory. I really can not see the point in upgrading from 32bit Windows XP to 32 bit Vista.
If SolidWorks will only support 64 bit Vista after the release of SolidWorks 2008, I'd suggest holding off untill SolidWorks 2009 (which will be released in 2008, and some of the bugs will be fixed). This would also be a good time to upgrade the PC to run both SolidWorks and Vista 64bit as the performance requirements of both SolidWorks and Vista will need faster hardware, to run efficiently.
John Layne www.solidengineering.co.nz
Thanks. With Vista Ultimate we got a 64 bit disk and the machine in question is 64 bit capable so we arent tha far off. I wanted to get SW in house for transition purposes.
I wonder if 2007 SP 3.0 will run 32 bit for the time being or should I wait for the first SW Vista release ?
message

Just curious, but why are you going to Vista? and why 64bit?
ur new desktop came with Vista Ultimate32 and a 64 upgrade disk too. The machine is 64 bit as well so I am looking forward and trying tomake use of what we have versus uninstall and reformat the machine and go and buy XP.

Wonderman wrote:

Might be cheaper in the long run to do just that. From what I have heard, the performance hit is pretty substantial for Vista.
-

Vista currently has very limited driver set. Where this hurts SolidWorks users is if you can't get a driver for your workstation grade VideoCard you will be working in OpenGL which has an added performance hit.
Remember the movie Transporter?
Rule Number One Never install the latest release of any software unless you are beta testing. Wait at least three service packs and preferably till the next release.
Rule Number Two Never buy hardware without first checking if it will run the software. Beware the bundle.
Rule Number Three The save button likes to be spanked.
Rule Number Four Turn off all the eye candy, don't load that screen saver, shut down any unneeded services, defrag your hard drive, always go for the fastest CPU, max. memory, approved video drivers, and you don't need to listen to MP3s on your computer while working.
Rule Number Five Always check first on comp.cad.solidworks to see if somebody else has made the dumb mistake you are about to make. They probably have.
:0 Free Advice, Cheap $$$
TOP
Can anyone advise if SP 3.0 will runin Vista 32 ?

It's in Pre Release for Vista - i.e. it's not supposed to be used in production. You will have to run it in "software-mode" OpenGL - there are no drivers available from graphics vendors. This means it will run a like a tortoise, because your CPU will be doing some of the work of your graphics card.
If you log onto the SolidWorks customer center under "News and Tech alerts" there is an alert regarding the prerelease verison. SolidWorks recomend if you are modelling complex parts or assemblies to use Windows XP.
John Layne www.solidengineering.co.nz
message

Forgot to add you will need to download the PreRelease verision of SolidWorks 2007 for Vista. The standard SolidWorks 2007 installation disks that came from your VAR will not install under Vista.
John Layne www.solidengineering.co.nz