install ProEngineer WildFire 3.0 in Vista system

We run ProEngineer WildFire 3.0 in our older Windows XP Professional system. We just got a new Dell PC system with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

We spend a few days trying to install all the ProE Wildfire 2.0 and 3.0. We are unable to get the license working.

We kept getting: License request failed for feature PROE_200: -8: Invalid (inconsistent) license key.

Is there anyway we can try out on this Vista 64 bit system? To see if it really run faster? Thank you.

Reply to
AMgrc

Look at my old posts from the last few months. We used 32 bit but nevertheless I'd say leave Vista alone for a year or two, until it's well established.

Reply to
graminator

Look at my old posts from the last few months. We used 32 bit but nevertheless I'd say leave Vista alone for a year or two, until it's well established.

On Sep 11, 2:15 am, "AMgrc" wrote: > We run ProEngineer WildFire 3.0 in our older Windows XP Professional system. > We just got a new Dell PC system with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. >

New hardware? New OS? New Pro/e support structure? Just an invitation to disaster (oh, yea, you said it already happended, ha ha... m..m..m..) oh, well, dump Vista, at least and, maybe, consider dumping the 64 bit OS. Try this business incrementally, like xp 32 bit to xp 64 bit, then, another step, like os to os, etc.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

How do you install ProE in Vista specifically in 32 bits? I check the Vista system panel, its 64 bits system. When I install ProE, the program goes in "Program Files (x86)" folder.

Thanks.

Reply to
AMcG

Do you use the same license server as you are using with your Windows XP machines? or have you installed flexnet on the Vista machine? AFAIK Flexnet is not supported on Vista yet.

/Kim

Reply to
kh

I'm guessing you have a 64 bit installation CD or downloaded file. the

32 bit is a different one.
Reply to
graminator

Thanks Kim. I just toke what mt boss has gotten for use on our XP systems in the office. But I did not tell him I was trying to install in my new Vista.

Reply to
AMcH

Thanks Kim. I just toke what mt boss has gotten for use on our XP systems in the office. But I did not tell him I was trying to install in my new Vista.

Doesn't it make a difference as to how many licenses are involved? If there are several pinging a separate machine over the network and accessing the server via a fully qualified domain name, it shouldn't matter to the license server what your OS is. And on standalone boxes, acting as their own license servers, I'm not even sure that the license management software gets installed, so, again, it wouldn't matter what the OS was.

What's more interesting to me is all the stuff you haven't told us (and what you haven't told the boss). For example, are you moving the license from a 32 bit machine to a 64 bit one? Or are you tring to make some disks you got from PTC, covering a single license, work on two machines, on a "tryout basis". In that case, you're in trouble, for these reasons: a.. PTC distributes a student or academic version of their software for tryout, either free and timed or for pay and untimed. It is about the same as the Flex3C professional version, crippled only in the sense that it can't read or write the professional version files. And it doesn't install (yet) on 64 bit systems. b.. Most PTC lincense, managed by FlexLM or Flexnet, are node locked and keyed to your machine's MAC address which you must supply to PTC for them to generate a new license. You can't move a license from one machine to another without this step. And, most certainly not between a 32 bit machine and a 64 bit one which may be on a completely separate distribution of installation disks. c.. Perhaps your boss telling them you're installing Pro/e on a new 64 bit machine convinced PTC that you needed a new license. Make it clear to PTC that you're not adding a machine but moving a license to a new machine. That could make the situation clearer to PTC which may very well be confused. If you even give them a hint that you will cost them money or they could make more from you, they stop listening and jump to the conclusion that they should be selling you something, whether you need it or not. David Janes

Reply to
Janes

No, now we are sure we ONLY use 32 bits. Because all ProE & PTC folders are all installed in "c:\program files (x86)\" folder - which is for 32 bit programs.

Reply to
AMcH

OK. The following is the answer I received: So based on this explanation, I install ProE and PTC license into 32 bit Vista. Because "c:\program files (x86)\" is for 32 bit programs.

=============================================== Just install the program normally. A program only runs one way or the other, you can't switch them yourself. When you install the program Vista detects if it's 32bit of 64bit. 32bit programs will install in "c:\program files (x86)\" automatically for you. 64bit programs will install in "c:\program files\" (again automatically.) It may look like some things are both because they are listed in both but that's just because Microsoft included both versions with the OS (like there is a 32 and 64 bit version of IE). This is NOT one program running both ways, it's two entirely different installs. The 32bit versions were included typically because the programs support plug-ins and 32bit plug-ins don't work in 64bit programs. So for example there STILL isn't a 64bit version of flash. So if you want flash in your web browser you have to use the 32bit version of IE.

The control panel is similar. Everything in the main control panel is

64bit. If you install anything that has a control panel app though and is 32 bit it goes into the "View 32bit Control Panel." Again it's only one or the other though you can't switch them yourselves. For example right now one of the things I have in the 32bit Control Panel is QuickTime, this is because there isn't a 64 bit version of QuickTime yet. However if at some point Apple does release one the icon will go into the main control panel because it's 64bit.

====================================

Reply to
AMcH

No, now we are sure we ONLY use 32 bits. Because all ProE & PTC folders are all installed in "c:\program files (x86)\" folder - which is for 32 bit programs.

Unh, hunh, depends on the installation disks you got. There's a whole seperate disk set for 64 bit install when you tell PTC that's what you are installing. And you know they ask what your machine is and your OS before they grant you the license. You know they don't want to hear about BS OS problems. And, if they sold you the 32 bit version, you know that's all you can install, whatever the machine and OS is. That's why I recommeded contacting license management ~ just to find out what your current license configuration is, exactly, precisely, to the machine, the MAC address, the OS, bit type, version, etc. Check this by sticking the instal disks in the new machine. PTCSetup will present you with a startup screen that contains the MAC address, shown at the bottom. Compare this to the one in your license file. If you can't find your current, intended machine's MAC address in the license file, your machine is not supported for a Pro/e installation. That may be why they're saying 'pay more'.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

But in your OP you said,

"We run ProEngineer WildFire 3.0 in our older Windows XP Professional system. We just got a new Dell PC system with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit."

So is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

And in my experience it's a separate CD for 64 bit. We have one here. Maybe they changed it with M090.

Reply to
graminator

In the System Control Panel, it say the system is "64 bit systems".

However, when you install a program, I guess Vista detects and automatically install ProE into 32 bits, because the Flexnet and proewildfire3.0 folders are inside "c:\program files (x86)\ folder. This is the 32 bit program folder. However, when I open the "32 bit control panel" inside the Control Panel, ProE is not listed.

I guess Vista is still screwy?

Reply to
AMgrc