Reserving 3d space in a master model

Is there any way to create a master space model and reserve packets of 3d space for various partners to work in. We wish to have a space reservation system to stop various partners encroaching on anothers real estate.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

May use a Work Area Grid from which you isolate geometry? In this case I'm using a grid with 3 surface areas using insert part and isolating geometry from the master layout.

..

Reply to
zxys

Thanks.

That looks exactly like what I want to do.

Can you be a bit more explicit for me please, this is also an aircraft. I know how to do it in Catia/Enovia which is what most aerospace companies want but our client has asked us to control the master model completely within Solidworks.

OT. another nice thing Enovia will let you do is trap a volume around the master model aircraft wireframe and then let you create a working assembly based on some filter criteria, eg, include hydraulic systems, exclude primary structure, include ECS etc.

You can e mail me at pevans(remove)@tagaerospace.com

Thanks again

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

I think you can use an envelope to accomplish you OT question. I think you can use an envelope in conjunction with advanced select to select components that are either fully contained within the envelope, crossing the envelope our fully outside the envelope. Using advanced select you can query the custom properties for particular values, for example if all of your hydraulic assemblies and components contained a custom property with a value of Hydraulic you could use advanced select to search for all documents containing value "Hydraulic" that are crossed by the envelope. You can use multiple envelopes and custom properties as needed. But I am not sure how to create the working assembly, I am assuming you mean a working assembly that is still parametrically tied back to the "master" assembly. I suppose that each design group could create their own top level assembly, insert the "master" assembly into that top level assembly so that everyone was referencing the same master assembly and all changes would be captured and all other users would see those changes but you are going to have some write access issues working that way.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

zxys wrote in news:1182211266.292659.250710 @n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I'm a bit surprised to see you're running Vista already. How do you like it?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

That was a topic at SWW the last two years.

I belive they modeled a ship hull as a surface and then cut it with planes to represent various bulkheads, decks and companionways. Since this was a part they could use it as an envelope or as an inserted part. This allowed each compartment to be modeled separately and yet have everything come into the top assembly perfectly.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I'm using XP with a custom theme... 8^)

..

Reply to
zxys

And, that is basically what I did, the master is all surfaces and the work area are surfaces (no solids)...

..

Reply to
zxys

zxys wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

That seems familiar. I think I asked you that once already.

Reply to
Dale Dunn