3D SKETCH with Solidworks

I came from autocad world, and now I am trying to familiar myself with the solidworks 2004. I would like to ask you experts in the forum with the following question:

  1. I am trying to draw a 3D solid line using 3D sketch option and then use SPLINE to make a solid line run from point -A to point-B. These two points are located in a compeletely different planes/XYZ coordinate. The similar example would be: suppose you want to run a battery jumper cable from a running car to a dead car (point-A) which is typically parked at a differnt XYZ coordinate as compared to the one with the engine running (point-B).

Please detail the technique on how you would properly approach this kind of 3D sketch via Soliworks. The drawing has to be very realistic from any angle of viewing. In Autocad, I woul have to use various UCS (user-coordinate-system) but it is very painfull. I hope I can achieve this better using Solidworks.

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Reply to
Jimmy Sayavong

Enter 3d sketch, create a spline, anywhere in space by indicationg the number of points you want.

After creating the spline select the point and then manually enter the xyz co-ordinate you want for that point in the pop up edit box.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

Phil,

I realized that the newer S/W release has the "routing" option which should address the objective. Since I don't have that option right now, the only choice is to do it manually as I described.

JIMMY

Reply to
Jimmy Sayavong

I am using Solidworks 2004, what are you using?

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

I am also using SW 2004. I don't think it has the ROUTING option.

JIMMY

Reply to
Jimmy Sayavong

while you are in 3d sketch mode pick any point in the spline. On the left hand side of your screen whre the feature tree normally is will pop up a point menu with an xyz input box.Manually override these values with the ones you want

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

Thank you, Phil.

Assuming that I can achieve a 3D Spline line as you detailed below, then how do I extrude the line so that it appears "bigger" than a normal line? if not, the spline would remain "visible" even behind a solid object, right? Would this be easier to do in an Assembly level other than a Part level?

Please advise,

JIMMY

Reply to
Jimmy Sayavong

Creating the spline is only part of it. What you need to do is create a sweep.draw a small circle on any plane (the thickness of your cable). Then draw the spline with the first point on the center of your circle. The spline will be the path for your sweep. Then Insert/ Boss/Base /Sweep, select the circle as the feature to be swept and the spline as the path to follow. This will provide you with a cable part that can be inserted into your assembly. The sweep can then be edited in the assembly to connect the two points A-B.

Welcome to 3-D modeling.

- Nick

Reply to
nbprice

What nbprice says.

Use the spline as construction geometry to sweep a solid cable. The sketch will automatically go into hide mode when you make the solid.