Solidworks 2008

Is there a list of new features in SW 2008?

Reply to
Fred

Yes.

A great big one.

But I can't tell you here because it's all non-disclosure stuff. Very hush hush. The competition might learn in advance what has been copied from them. Actually several things have been shown already at SWWorld.

I can say that at least half of it is crap. Some of it is actually useful. A good amount of the changes, particularly interface changes, look like change for change sake. No advantage to the change, but change is progress!?!?! Right? Some of it is actually old functions warmed over and called new, even though they're not. I think they have totally screwed the interface for long-time users. This is going to be the release to skip if you want to save some subscription money. For existing users, it's going to take some retraining and a lot of re-configuring of the interface, as much as they allow. Some of the interface controls are now gone, including for some functionality which has changed and taking a screwball approach. Some of the new interface can be disabled, but some can't and the stuff that can't is totally disruptive and badly implemented, at least at this point. They may fix it before sp0, but they don't bother fixing older bugs, so why would they fix the new bugs?

I am a bit disgusted with it, not that it matters. The effort they put into the new stuff was for the most part a complete waste of time. There are some nice things with assemblies and configurations, but the interface is what you call fukt. Same old bugs and design flaws. Early stuff was rougher than usual.

Reply to
FlowerPot

Sign-up for the SolidWorks 2008 Beta program on the SolidWorks website

Yes, there is a list of new features, but no one involved in beta testing SW2008 can discuss it in public. We all have signed an NDA to participate.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

One of the biggest enhancements is that is is now CRASHPROOF and will run in Linux. The other biggie is that it's 10X faster than 2007

So no change from every other major release???

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

Try this link - it takes a while to download though.

The only points that sound useful for me are:-

- bi-directional link between BOM and file custom properties - Live Editing (push/pull surfaces, even of imported models) - copy mates along with parts

I don't understand the excitement about being able to turn an extrude into a cut - other systems have been able to do this for years!

John H

Reply to
John H

next you're going to tell me that they will have mirrored assemblies actually working.

Reply to
bill allemann

"...runs on Linux. The other biggie is that it's 10X faster than

2007"

It will be on a non Windoze platform.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

If you mean having a mirrored look then yep. Right out of the box.

Perhaps they are expanding their home license initiative for add-in products by shipping TWO pads of graph paper with this release.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

A couple more beverages and it will all look good. Still waiting for mirrored assemblies that work, mirrored part drawings where the hole wizard data transfers, assembly performance (always a favorite), addendum weldment cut lists from weldment parts, weldment sub-weldment assemblies to higher level assemblies, consistent user interface between parts, drawings and assemblies, fix all known bugs in the previous release before moving on to the next (oh, that might keep some from wanting to upgrade, sorry).

Kman

Reply to
euchre45887

My list to a tee. I think we'll be waiting a long time though . :)

-DWH

Reply to
Anonymous