Batch Version Conversion

Is there a utility that will convert entire folders to the current version of Solidworks?

Let me explain the problem . I do IT support for a company that has 3 Solidworks workstations. They have 1000's of Solidworks files they have created with different versions of Solidworks throughout the years. The problem is when opening these files today, they have to be converted to Solidworks 2007. This conversion process can take up to

45 minutes per file.

I was hoping there is a utility that they could setup to run overnight, or on weekends to do a few folders at a time. This way they the files will always be current.

Anything like that?

Thanks!

-Adam

Reply to
Adam Schroeder

Solidworks has a conversion wizard that comes and is installed when you install SW. It's in your programs SW menu under SWtools.

Adam, As J states, there is a conversion wizard, but I would also run the update tool in task scheduler, afterwards the conversion too.

Things to convert and then update are:-

Pdmworks, I recommend to stop the pdmworks.exe service BEFORE running the conversion/update. Conversion in Pdmworks takes a long time, so best to run overnight.

Toolbox, including the copied parts folder, if you use copied parts.

Templates.

Design library

Any other folders that are not part of the standard install.

Block, macros etc...

What everyone forgets about, the users, local folders!!!!

If you use a server, to share the data, it is a much easier task!

There must be some things I have forgotten and I am sure this list will be added too.

:-)

Reply to
pete

Just to add to what Pete said.

Backup first. Once converted you can never go back.

Do this a directory at a time. Do parts first, assemblies second and drawings last.

Track documents that don't convert. Check documents that do convert especially drawings.

Reply to
TOP

Of of the 2 availlible tools mentioned here which comes with SW is working very well.

You can use them on parts yes, but assemblies and drawings are a big problem, I will estimate it only worked on ~20% of our assemblies and drawings and none with more than a few hundred parts in them.

The Task Scheduler is much better than the conversion wizard.

(I have just translated 80% of all our parts, assys and drawings - we have ~75k total)

Reply to
Ronni

None of of the 2 conversion tools mentioned here (both comes with standard SW) is working very well.