SW2007 is slow at saving

I'm opening, rebuilding and saving a mold assembly as a test. In 2005 the files totaled 374mb, in 2007 the files totaled 287mb.

Saving times to my local c-drive went from...

2005 sp5 = 32 seconds 2006 sp3.4 = 53 seconds 2007 beta3 = 53 seconds 2007 sp0 = 95 seconds 2007 sp1 = 125 seconds

Rebuild times and file opening for 2007 sp1 are very similar compared to

2005 sp5. The save time is absolutly ridiculous. 4 TIMES WHAT IT TOOK IN 2005.

Roland

Reply to
Roland

I there a chance that with the 2007 test you now have backup copies as well as auto-recover data being saved at the same time?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Negative, both auto recover and backup copies are turned off for all tests.

Roland

Reply to
Roland

I have been finding saving slow as well. Also, opening sw is taking a 'very long time' now compared to 2006. I'm using the 64bit version and I'm pretty dissappointed with the number of issues. And I can say this in comparison to previous sp0.0's going back to the 90's. I'm sure I've blotted out a few bad memories but this sp0 seems particularly 'flakey'

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Just a thought... Maybe I am thinking of the obvious but...

Did you use the "Conversion Wizard" on these files? Are you measuring the time to open and save a file in SW2007 for the first time? Does the time to save get better if you open and csave it the second time?

It seems as though every time a new major release is available there are comments on how slow SW becomes to open files or save files. Then you don't hear about it anymore because your files have been converted after the first open and save.

Reply to
Pats Fan

I backed up all my project files and ran the conversion wizard on them

- yet I find that mysteriously only certain files got converted since I keep getting messages stating the files just opened will be converted when saved.

However, this is not the slowdown I'm talking about. My experience with slow saving is with brand new and simple parts where the save time has become 'noticable'. I wonder about the autorecover/autobackup features - I don't see any indicator when this is occuring. I remember that the status bar used to say 'saving autorecover information' or something, I don't see that anymore?

Zander

Pats Fan wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Hi Zander,

I think that the messages that documents will be converted when saved, refer to your toolbox parts. your own and "copied" parts. These need to be converted also, but this can only be done after the windooooze read only tag is removed.

This could be the reason for the slow saving as Sw tries to convert the read only files, gives up and tries the next one. This will happen every time, giving you, the slowdown.

This also happens with the vault documents if you do not have read and write access.

Very easy to miss these.

Remove the "QQ" for email address.

Reply to
pete

Hi Pete,

This isn't what I see happening. I ran the conversion wizard on all my project files, yet upon opening these converted projects I find only some of them were actually converted. I have no idea why some were skipped but they were. The messages don't refer to toolbox parts in this case.

Zander

pete wrote:

Reply to
Zander

You checked, and none of the copied project files were read-only?

Jerry Steiger

Truly, you guys have to trust me! I know the files in question are not read only and I'm being told by solidworks that they need to be converted after having run the conversion wizard on them. For some reason they were skipped.

Zander

Jerry Steiger wrote:

Reply to
Zander

I did check for and found a "conversion wizard failed" log file which seems to list just parts in my projects directory. The list shows the full filename path with the following text appended to the end of the line:

"not processed. Unable to execute SolidWorks."

Now there is another log called "Conversion Wizard Log" which list all of the files that were successfully converted. They are mostly assemblies although some parts are listed, as well as parts and drawings that are tagged 'up-to-date' . Basically the conversion wizard failed to convert most of my parts I have.

That's 2,520 converted and 6,220 failed.

In any case this answers the question about why I still have uncoverted parts. The converted log shows a process time of 7 hours 33 minutes. I left it running overnight which is why I may have missed any messages. I only found the logs today.

That's a lot of parts in 16 months work!

Zander

Zander wrote:

Reply to
Zander

I already know that you tried this, but..., lol, try converting one of the documents that failed the conversion.

Also try opening and saving one of these documents. Does it save correctly? It "could" be, that the document name is too long, just a thought, or that if the document is stored on the network, that the there is a delay in reading the document, after which sw gives an error if not opened in a certain time.

As a sub-note, try turning off all addin's(except toolbox), and then try the conversion, I remember this caused myself a problem, when converting from

2003 to 2004. Keep us informed on your progress! :o)

Reply to
Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes opened on their own and saving works fine. I will try disabling addin's I hadn't thought of that.

Long filenames aren't an issue here. These are all on a local raid array. The paths are long but not over 100 or so characters.

Thanks,

Zander

Pete wrote:

Reply to
Zander

I had similar issues when using the wizard to upgrade files to 2006. In my case, after X number of starts, SW would generate a performance e-mail and attempt to send it. Outlook express prevents automatic generation and sending without hitting the confirmation box, which prevents SW from starting, and further conversion attempts to fail.

Once the option was disabled, conversion of the rest of the files went without a hitch ( except about 5 files which required manual tweaking ). Why no mention of this is made by SW, I've no idea.

Reply to
Brian

The conversion wizard has caused problems, for me, in the past where the parts have in context modelling or if there is a circular reference. Hence I'm a zealous convert to locking incontext references, as soon a practical.

John Layne

John Layne