face fillet help points

Does anyone have any idea what the "help points" do in the Face Fillet PropMgr? If you have an example, I'd like to see it.

Reply to
matt

A help point will resolve ambiguous situations where the face fillet could go to one side or the other. We have a sample in the 'filleting collection' under the tutorials tab on our web site

In the zip file you will find a part, unimaginatevly called 'Sample shows what 'help point' does in face filet.SLDPRT'. There is a comment in the relative feature.

Though I have this sample, I have never actually needed to use a help point on a real model (that I can recall)

Hope this helps,

Ed 'old goat' Eaton

Reply to
ed1701

Sorry if this is just out in low earth orbit but if you have two intersecting surfaces that don't share coincident edges ( a "+") there are four valid solutions. It might be a way of solving the ambiguity.

Reply to
nodauser

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote: ...

A couple other folks have written me offline about this. The help point seems to only work if there is only one face selected in each selection set.

This seems to break down in situations where an ambiguous selection is made in a single box. For example, if both ends of a block are selected in set 2 and set 1 is the top of the block, the help point seems to have no effect, it follows the face selection order instead.

??

Reply to
matt

If you are talking about separate intersecting surface bodies, SW won't fillet between separate bodies, the faces have to be part of the same knit surface body. But you're right about the ambiguity.

Reply to
matt