Saving magazines

Here's a question to chew on.
How many of you save the entire magazine after you've read it, to keep the articles in there of interest to you?
Think about it: after a few years, you'll have a collection of magazines taking up space...a fair amount thereof.
Now, how many of you clip articles relevant to you for filing, and chuck the "carcass" of the magazine once you're done with it?
A friend of mine, who moved his (at that time) 14-year collection of MRs and various other mags to Florida, chose the latter option and chucked the mags when he ws done. His rationale was that (1) it would be easier to find an article on a particular type of project (structure kitbash, for example) rather than dig through a whole year's worth of issues. (I've begun doing that too, because of the space the magazines consume.)
Dieter Zakas
it has merit but is a big job - I wonder if there is an index available that directs one to the articles, thereby saving time, effort and keeping the mags intact. Reason I say it is because I often refer back to magazines and even the Ads as they often contain info I need. Also, I mark pages with strips of thin rigid plastic as a basic pointer to something which takes my interest...... and while in these instances I am referring to Architectural magazines, I imagine I will apply the same principles to model rail.
Cheers
Steve

www.index.mrmag.com
It's Kalmbach's, but it lists all the major magazines, and, IIRC, some books.
Jay
website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.
The Kalmbach index is good, but it's not easy to search. If your public library has EBSCO or GALE databases available you can search Model Railroader much more easily. EBSCO goes back to 1996, Gale goes back to 1980. Unfortunately most of the other modeler mags aren't available. Some of the larger public libraries will have backfiles of periodicals and a few have archival (long term) collections.
JCunington wrote:

Can you describe why you think the Kalmbach index isn't easy to search? And can you describe what you would to to make it easier?

My biggest complaint was that with the graphics on a dial-up, it can take forever for the page to load. Some people in more remote areas are still stuck with a 33K connection (TG I'm not one of them!)
Jay
website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.
What graphics are you referring to? the index.mrmag.com site is almost all text. the only graphics on the site to speak of are the magazine cover thumbnail images, which only are displayed when you ask to see the list of magazines for a particular year. For keyword searching, the only graphics that get displayed are the two banner ads, everything else is text.
Could you be referring to the graphics on modelrailroader.com instead?

All those little icons after the article denoting "construction article", "plans", etc. The first time I logged in there it took forever to load a search result page. When I tried it a few months later it was improved, so I think there might have been a problem with those icons for each article having to load the first time. The next time I logged on, once one icon was loaded it showed up for every article. Dunno, really. I just know that now it's miles ahead of where it was when I initially tried it. Perhaps it was my web browser, upgrading from Netscape 4.1 to 7-something in the meantime. As I said, it's a mystery.
Jay
website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.
Thanks for the info. Those icons are all < 1kb each, perhaps it was a server or network problem at the time, or maybe your browser as you suggest. Let me know if you have any other problems. jeff

Well, it would be nice to be able to do "boolean" searching. If you knew there were articles about fathers and sons and tried to enter "father and son" you'd get an error message that the word "father" isn't in the index. If you want to search for "O gauge" you can pretty much forget it. Good boolean searching with access to every word in every article is provided in commercial databases. It allows you to be very choosy about what is found.
As an information professional I'm aware of the expense of using a commercial search engine or even building a good website with web search engine. One possible alternative is to put their full pubs into a commercial database that is available through public libraries. They'd be able to specify a moratorium period before the material became available, but for many hobbyists year-old material would be valuable. The tradeoff for the publishers is the profit from selling backfile copies of the magazine versus profit from database royalties. For hobbyists the availability of technical information about current products might be the most valuable part. Since ads would be left out hobbyists might lose a great deal too.
Jeff Scherb wrote:

The index won't let you search on just as scale name (like "o gauge") because there would be too many results returned. You can use the scale name as a keyword along with any other keyword, so to see a list of all articles about steam engines in O gauge, use "O steam".
Boolean searching refers the the way search terms are combined, not to searching the entire text of the articles. The index treats multiple search terms as being combined with "and". True boolean searching would also allow using "or" and "not" predicates, among others, for example "steam and not review" would return a list of all articles about steam engines which were not reviews. The index doesn't support boolean searching other than "and" as you say. True boolean operations didn't seem to add too much value to the usefulness of the database, so that feature wasn't built into the code.

Here it is: Model Train Magazine Index http://www.index.mrmag.com/

I'm planning on scanning mine and burning them to CD as time permits, which won't be often as I also want to scan old family photos and I have college 2 nights a week plus an online class with a research paper (real research, not just regurgitating facts a la high school) due in 6 weeks. And then there's work and family demands on top of that.
Oy! Sucks to be me right now. RR'ing? What RR'ing?
Jay
website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.
That's what I did over time with photos for my design work. 3 magazines a day - on my desk - scan them (physically) then scan what I want - replace when done ..... took a while but I got there. Now all I have to do is keep it up to date.
:)
oh, I also would drag them out while watching TV and bookmark to save time at the desk - as mentioned I used strips of plastic that I cut, but those million damn annoying Special Offer things in every issue would be good to cut up too.
Steve

A few years ago I was given about 10 years of Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman and a bunch of specialty railroading magazines. I had a number of years of MR and RMC that I had intact and purchased years before, so I knew that the ones I got for free were duplicates. There were writing and missing pages so I used these as my guinea pigs for cutting and storage. It was a monster of a job as I cut up and organized most of the MR's into a batch of categories. This eliminated a lot of the bulk and gave me a good handle on the different items I might want in the future.
I found that a lot of the RMC mags had so much info and pictures that it was foolish to cut them up as I was storing almost the whole magazine. To this day, I still have 3 large boxes of magazines that I often pick a few just for the pleasure of looking over.
I even have some vol 1 model railroader magazines that are part of my nostalgia collection and the 1950 and 60 stuff.
All great stuff.
Ed
I tried that once, but now regret it. The problem is one can never be sure their interests will be the same in 10 or 20 or 30 years. Many years ago I hated diseasels and was die-hard steam (but now I have an strong interest in first generation Diesels), and I had a narrow focus on Rocky Mtn RRs (but now have a greater interest in eastern RRs), and I miss many articles I threw away in my consolidation effort. I have also become interested in preserving the "antique" HO I first acquired, and find the advertising in these old magazines to be very useful in dating items and identifying variations. Gary Q

the
and
mags

Depends on the magazine.
I am in the throes of sorting out my junk and packing to move house. I have every issue of the British fine scale magazine Model Railway Journal, in plastic sleeves in ring-binders. Also my collections of historical magazines.
I have kept individual articles from other magazines both prototype and model, British and American.
And afterwards regretted that I did not keep the entire issue when somebody has mentioned an article I didn't keep.
Just one old guy speaking, but, I value my collection of model railroading magazine as highly as I do my models, Yes, RMC (complete) and MR (missing one issue) do take up a lot of room. They'll be a potential problem for my estate when I go to the layout in the sky or the eternal subway system. Still, I'd no more rid myself of any part than throw out a brass loco. Do I actually read them? Yes, most frequently a year's worth at a time. It's not only the individual article or project that attracts me. I try to put myself in the place of the hobbyists of seventy, fifty, or even just ten years ago. It's a great nostalgia trip and in spite of changes in materials, techniques and, to a much lesser extent, attitudes it emphasises to me the continuity of the hobby. Thanks for listening. Jerry
I'm with you Jerry. I have MR from Jan '40 and Craftsman from Jan '50 plus all the Mainline Models and 30 years of the Gazette. Since my interests change, I find new things each time I dig out the old issues. Reading those old magazines is a great winter evening activity.
Now that there's an online index I often use my collection for research when planning a project.
George

says...

I do. In fact I've gone and acquired years prior to my first subscription.
Why not just clip? Because my interests change.