Saving magazines

Here's a question to chew on.
How many of you save the entire magazine after you've read it, to keep the
articles in there of interest to you?
Think about it: after a few years, you'll have a collection of magazines
taking up space...a fair amount thereof.
Now, how many of you clip articles relevant to you for filing, and chuck the
"carcass" of the magazine once you're done with it?
A friend of mine, who moved his (at that time) 14-year collection of MRs and
various other mags to Florida, chose the latter option and chucked the mags
when he ws done. His rationale was that (1) it would be easier to find an
article on a particular type of project (structure kitbash, for example)
rather than dig through a whole year's worth of issues. (I've begun doing
that too, because of the space the magazines consume.)
Dieter Zakas
Reply to
Dieter Zakas
it has merit but is a big job - I wonder if there is an index available that directs one to the articles, thereby saving time, effort and keeping the mags intact. Reason I say it is because I often refer back to magazines and even the Ads as they often contain info I need. Also, I mark pages with strips of thin rigid plastic as a basic pointer to something which takes my interest...... and while in these instances I am referring to Architectural magazines, I imagine I will apply the same principles to model rail.
Cheers
Steve
Reply to
mindesign

It's Kalmbach's, but it lists all the major magazines, and, IIRC, some books.
Jay
website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.
Reply to
JCunington
I'm planning on scanning mine and burning them to CD as time permits, which won't be often as I also want to scan old family photos and I have college 2 nights a week plus an online class with a research paper (real research, not just regurgitating facts a la high school) due in 6 weeks. And then there's work and family demands on top of that.
Oy! Sucks to be me right now. RR'ing? What RR'ing?
Jay
website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.
Reply to
JCunington
I tried that once, but now regret it. The problem is one can never be sure their interests will be the same in 10 or 20 or 30 years. Many years ago I hated diseasels and was die-hard steam (but now I have an strong interest in first generation Diesels), and I had a narrow focus on Rocky Mtn RRs (but now have a greater interest in eastern RRs), and I miss many articles I threw away in my consolidation effort. I have also become interested in preserving the "antique" HO I first acquired, and find the advertising in these old magazines to be very useful in dating items and identifying variations. Gary Q
Reply to
Geezer
That's what I did over time with photos for my design work. 3 magazines a day - on my desk - scan them (physically) then scan what I want - replace when done ..... took a while but I got there. Now all I have to do is keep it up to date.
:)
oh, I also would drag them out while watching TV and bookmark to save time at the desk - as mentioned I used strips of plastic that I cut, but those million damn annoying Special Offer things in every issue would be good to cut up too.
Steve
Reply to
mindesign
Depends on the magazine.
I am in the throes of sorting out my junk and packing to move house. I have every issue of the British fine scale magazine Model Railway Journal, in plastic sleeves in ring-binders. Also my collections of historical magazines.
I have kept individual articles from other magazines both prototype and model, British and American.
And afterwards regretted that I did not keep the entire issue when somebody has mentioned an article I didn't keep.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
Just one old guy speaking, but, I value my collection of model railroading magazine as highly as I do my models, Yes, RMC (complete) and MR (missing one issue) do take up a lot of room. They'll be a potential problem for my estate when I go to the layout in the sky or the eternal subway system. Still, I'd no more rid myself of any part than throw out a brass loco. Do I actually read them? Yes, most frequently a year's worth at a time. It's not only the individual article or project that attracts me. I try to put myself in the place of the hobbyists of seventy, fifty, or even just ten years ago. It's a great nostalgia trip and in spite of changes in materials, techniques and, to a much lesser extent, attitudes it emphasises to me the continuity of the hobby. Thanks for listening. Jerry
Reply to
trainjer
I do. In fact I've gone and acquired years prior to my first subscription.
Why not just clip? Because my interests change.
Reply to
Larry Blanchard
A few years ago I was given about 10 years of Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman and a bunch of specialty railroading magazines. I had a number of years of MR and RMC that I had intact and purchased years before, so I knew that the ones I got for free were duplicates. There were writing and missing pages so I used these as my guinea pigs for cutting and storage. It was a monster of a job as I cut up and organized most of the MR's into a batch of categories. This eliminated a lot of the bulk and gave me a good handle on the different items I might want in the future.
I found that a lot of the RMC mags had so much info and pictures that it was foolish to cut them up as I was storing almost the whole magazine. To this day, I still have 3 large boxes of magazines that I often pick a few just for the pleasure of looking over.
I even have some vol 1 model railroader magazines that are part of my nostalgia collection and the 1950 and 60 stuff.
All great stuff.
Ed
Reply to
Lungshot1
I'm with you Jerry. I have MR from Jan '40 and Craftsman from Jan '50 plus all the Mainline Models and 30 years of the Gazette. Since my interests change, I find new things each time I dig out the old issues. Reading those old magazines is a great winter evening activity.
Now that there's an online index I often use my collection for research when planning a project.
George
Reply to
George
Here's a question to chew on. How many of you save the entire magazine after you've read it, to keep the articles in there of interest to you? Think about it: after a few years, you'll have a collection of magazines taking up space...a fair amount thereof. ---------------------------------------------- I have Model Railroader back to 1964 and some earlier issues, RMC back to 1971, Trains, and Railfan back to the early 1970s, plus about ten years worth of Model Railroading, RMJ, Mainline Modeler, and others. Living in a two bedroom condo doesn't leave much space. I plan to do something with them soon.
I thought about clipping articles as you mention, but I find that the old ads and new product announcements and reviews appeal to me as much as the articles.
History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:
Bill
Scan the magazines and save them all to a CD. Then sell the paper copies.
-- Jim McLaughlin
Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.
History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Jim McLaughlin
How many cars could you correctly detail and letter, how much scenery could you improve, how many timetables could you prepare and operate in that same time??? Gary Q
Reply to
Geezer
In article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net, Bill at snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote on 1/17/05 17:15:
Here's my question.
Where reviews are concerned, just how helpful is a product review of, say, a locomotive from thirty or forty years ago? It could be helpful if the model it discusses is still in production to compare improvements therein, but what if it isn't? Would you keep it then?
Where my friend is concerned, is one of practicality. Handling and storing his collection of clipped magazine articles is significantly easier than an entire quarter-century's worth of MRs. (In light of his changed interests, he's now refining his filing system.)
He found himself in an interesting situation: because some of his articles were printed back-to-back, he's had to photocopy the affected page prior to clipping the articles so one is not left incomplete. It took some time to do this, as well as money, but he got it done. The result is that he had effectively freed up some space in his house.
As for me, I have RMCs dating back to 1983 when I subscribed, and miscellaneous issues before then. My MRs date back to the early 1980s, but the subscribed issues to 1995. Then there are various other hobby mags, as well as Trains and Railfan & Railroad. Just what am I to do with them?
All those magazines are presently stored in three or four twenty-gallon bins with lids and three split-lid bins (the kind whose lid halves lock together). It was a bear to move them to my present place, and I do not desire the chore of moving them again. Besides, the bins could also be used to store other things, too. Thus, I'm working, however slowly, at identifying articles I'd like to save, and if there are back to back pages, note these for later copying. Then, I cut out the articles and set the carcass aside for recycling.
In the one sense, I can see the justification for keeping entire issues, but digging through them can be a daunting task if you're looking for a specific item. However, what good are ads from many years ago? Reviews and construction articles I can understand...but ads?
Any other thoughts?
Dieter Zakas
Reply to
Dieter Zakas
: > Scan the magazines and save them all to a CD. Then sell the paper : copies. : > -- Jim McLaughlin
: How many cars could you correctly detail and letter, how much scenery could : you improve, how many timetables could you prepare and operate in that same : time??? Gary Q
My thoughts exactly. I've been trying to get the mags to consider having someone scan 10 years of issues at a time and selling them. The editors I talked to weren't interested; they didn't think there would be much of a market. I'm sure they were also worried that there would be a lot of unauthorized copying.
Reply to
S C Sillato
Jim McLaughlin replied: Scan the magazines and save them all to a CD. Then sell the paper copies. ---------------------------------------------------- That'd keep me off the streets for a few weeks!
History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:
Bill
The problem with selling the used magazines is that generally they don't bring anything at swap meets - even a 2-3 year old magazine that sold new on the newstand for $4.95 won't bring more than 50 cents these days. And older issues, you're lucky to get $5.00 for an entire year. The club I belong to has MR complete, and maintains a subscription to it to keep it complete (guess where it's stored?), and I have RMJ complete on top of that, along with many years of RMC and a number of others. Maybe scanning them is the way to go, but at best that's a time-consumming process.
Overall, a good question, and some good answers so far.
Matt
Reply to
Matt Furze
Your question is like asking someone to justify why their favorite color is blue and not green. Some of us collect the magazines because we enjoy reading the old ones and some do not. Some find old kit reviews, ads and building plans interesting and some do not. There are no right or wrong answers here. It's all part of the vast variety of sub activities in model railroading.
George
Reply to
George
I tend to keep historical, construction and layout articles - for lines that interest me, techniques that might be useful and ideas for future layouts.
Filed in plastic sleeves in ring binders. Takes a lot less space than the magazines. But there are always articles I wish I'd saved because inteersts change over time.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Site Timeline